Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A badly parked car in a private car park.

Options
  • 28-04-2024 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

So I park my car at the local shop in one of the demarcated slots ,do my shopping and get back in the car .

I reverse out very slowly and look in the mirror at about the same time.(I realize I should look in the mirror before anything but I am a bit lazy...)

I see that there is a car right behind me that has parked in an undemarcated space and is boxing me in.

With a 5 or 6 point turn I am able to get out and be on my way.

Then I think ,"What If I had reversed into that car.Would it just have been my own fault?"

Is it just a lesson to always anticipate the worst when driving a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If the car was stationary I believe you are at fault in this instance. In any event who would want the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Should you look behind you before reversing your car???

Yes. Yes you should.

Jesus wept.

What if a person was standing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Definitely you should check if the way is clear whether you are reversing or going forward.

Shop car parks are used by vehicles and pedestrians so extra care is necessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't think this thread is going to go well for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭amandstu

You are right.What I should have said is that I tend to look in the mirrors around the same time I disengage the clutch.

I also try to look around before I do anything but don't always do that.

Maybe others do that and I will acknowledge that that is better and correct.

I don't claim to be the best driver and with the best will in the world I sometimes get it wrong for one reason or another.

The reason for not seeing the car earlier (apart from omitting the preliminary checks) was that this car was positioned on an unexpected position (out of place) .

So I may even have looked before disengaging the clutch but didn't notice the car because I fidn't expect it to be there.(that is a psychological thing ,I am quite sure)

Anyway ,apart from my failings ,my question was whether the other car would bear any responsibility for any scrape because they were not in a properly indicated parking space (and had blocked the other car in)

Probably not ,I seem to hear.So just expect the unexpected if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

It was a parked car, so if you hit it it's on you. How did you not even see it before you got into your own car never mind about not checking mirrors. Maybe be more aware of your surroundings in future before even getting into the car. Also, thank you for giving me a new word for parking space.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ted222

“You are right.What I should have said is that I tend to look in the mirrors around the same time I disengage the clutch.

I also try to look around before I do anything but don't always do that.”

So now you know it’s not optional. Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my question was whether the other car would bear any responsibility

i know this is going to sound nitpicky, but cars cannot bear any responsibility. they are machines.

if you hit a stationary object, the only person to blame is you. and that goes for something like a low wall, let alone something the size of a parked car. did you not see it as you got back to your car, even before you actually started your engine to pull away?

umm… if you're deliberately trying to undermine your own position, 10 out of 10. keep it up, you're doing a stellar job.

• Advertisement

"umm… if you're deliberately trying to undermine your own position, 10 out of 10. keep it up, you're doing a stellar job"

Explain.What is my position and how am I trying to undermine it.

How is the thread "not going to go well for me?"

What do you mean by that?

you have claimed to not always look around before moving your car, in a thread where you're asking can someone else be to blame for possible damage as a result of your failures in observation. by my book, the thread is not going well for you.

I think it means what everybody on here has replied to your post, how can you think this thread will show anything other than the fact you weren't paying enough attention before and after you got into your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Jesus christ. What if there was a child or another pedestrian, behind you?

You need to look behind you BEFORE disengaging anything. Every time.

I sincerely hope your original post is a wind up.. Anyone who is careless enough to start reversing without looking first, deserves to have their licence revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Raichų

OP if you don’t check your mirrors before reversing or moving off at all you should not be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'GOSHO' - Gear, Observe, Signal, Handbrake, observe

Youll note there's two observes in that.

As I posted before ,I tend to sometimes disengagage the clutch (carefully) at the same time as i check the mirrors.

It is one action.

Often(maybe more often than not) ,I will check the mirrors (and turn my head) before I go anywhere near the clutch.

I have the suspicion that this is what most people do but I will pay attention to what I see others doing and if I am wrong I will do as they do.

(Very hard to tell by looking at drivers to see if they have looked carefully before disengaging the clutch ,so I won't try doung that)

I still think the optimal time to check the mirrors is just as the car starts to move.

It must also be very good practice to check prior to that but not as effective.

The pedestrian or a moving car can appear at the very moment you start to move ,so that it seems to me is the most important time

And ,yes check before as well

I have admitted to not always doing that (when distracted probably) but not to reversing before checking the mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Did you not see the car that was boxing you in when you walked back to and got into your car?

"I have admitted to not always doing that (when distracted probably) but not to reversing before checking the mirrors." Stop digging and take a refresher driving course.

I do .I will turn the key ,look in the mirrors (maybe turn around) ,push in the clutch and engage the reverse gear.

Then ,continuing to look in the mirrors I will slowly reverse .

What I don't generally do is to look in the mirror before I start the engine.

Do you?

When I said in the OP "I realize I should look in the mirror before anything but I am a bit lazy...)

I was referring to the time before I start the engine.

"Anything" meant anything to do with starting the car not "making any movement with the car"

That is also a good time to look in the mirrors but not as effective,I find.

• Advertisement

@magicbastarder can answer for himself.I notice he/she only answered what he felt like answering.

Sorry, I didn't look before I answered.

Thanks .I think that is what I do.

Nothing about the clutch in that(you do the clutch at the same time as you release the handbrake, I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

This situation reminds me of a time about 10 years ago when I was stationary at a junction in an underground car park and a car was reversing out of a car park space towards the front of my car, albeit at low speed. My car was quite new to me and I couldn't find the horn in time before he hit me. There was no damage to my car (I think he only made contact with the number plate), but the driver of the other car tried to pull a fast one and make out some minor damage to his vehicle was my fault. I submitted the required insurance report and never heard any more about it.

It's 100% your responsibility to make sure the way is clear before you move. If you couldn't get out because the way they parked blocked you, the only sensible thing to do is wait for them to return. Probably a good idea to stop being "lazy", as you put it.

You should always check the post above/below and all other posts before replying and only then post slowly.

I was blocked but was able to get out by means of 5 or 6 3 point turns.

Why should my day be taken up waiting for an inconsiderate parker?

Have you ever blocked someone like that?

I would have to make an exception for delivery drivers as they have less choice and you know they will be back soon.

OP I think you should just give up here, you didn't see a parked car which by your own account took 5-6 3 point turns to get past so how the hell did you not see the car when you were walking back to get into your own car. If it took that many manoeuvres the car had to be very close to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would you stop digging. Jesus christ that is woeful. The car being badly parked is irrelevant. Cars are supposed to pass behind you in the aisle, and should be expected to be here stationary, at any time.

"I tend to sometimes disengagage the clutch (carefully) at the same time as i check the mirrors. It is one action."

That is awful driving. You are assuming there is no obstacle and that the way is clear. If there is an obstruction, you are hoping that you can react before is comes an issue. This is dumb.

I still think the optimal time to check the mirrors is just as the car starts to move.

Obviously it's not, as you are decided to move before confirming it is clear. And I also think that the above is a lie and you don't actually think that's optimal. Reminder what you said in OP

I reverse out very slowly and look in the mirror at about the same time.(I realize I should look in the mirror before anything but I am a bit lazy..

You acknowledged what you did was lazy and wrong. Don't now pretend you think its optimal. It's embarrassing.

It must also be very good practice to check prior to that but not as effective.

The pedestrian or a moving car can appear at the very moment you start to move ,so that it seems to me is the most important time

Checking before is more effective, not less effective. Yes, an obstacle can appear at any moment. You check the way is clear before you move, and you continue to observe as you move off. There is no gap in observation. The fact this has to be explained is worrying.

And the attempt at moving the goal posts to "I meant not before starting the car" is laughable. That's not what you said;

…look in the mirror at about the same time.
    …I tend to look in the mirrors around the same time I disengage the clutch.
    …I tend to sometimes disengagage the clutch (carefully) at the same time as i check the mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Op, you are a bad driver.... The world of boards users has unanimously voted it so.

Accept it, change and move on.

And reverse into parking spaces as well please as most cars are designed to do

Advertisement