Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something you wished you had known or done earlier in life?

Options
  • 28-04-2024 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Anything you would wish you started doing before, or could go back and change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Yes , you owe it to your future self to be selfish while young

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How money can be earned but happiness must be fought hard for., how life can be short, it can often be very hard and brutal.

That one must sit down early in life and think what you want out of it, what will keep you going when things are happening that are a savage hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would have had kids earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

No one really knows what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

with experience I’ve learned to

look after your wellbeing and happiness…

learn the value of the word ‘NO’ and never ever be afraid to use it.

Trust your instincts 100%… they will be right more often than they will fail you.

Don’t be afraid to fall out with people if it means maintaining your wellbeing and happiness…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Money may not buy happiness, but it buys comfort and security.

Study for a career that pays well and you'll be insulated from cost of living, energy price hikes, mortgage rate rises etc. Issues with finance is the cause of most fights in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

I spend time on people who didn't deserve it - some advice around that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Don't get married.

Buy Bitcoin early.

Buy MS, Apple, Amazon ... stock when it was cheap…

Buy houses when they were cheap.

Don't be afraid to apply for the extremely well paying jobs.

Money can't buy love, but **** it, you can ponder that in the Caribbean on your yacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Dont have a big wedding, or don't get married at all is easiest!! Feeding people you hardly know to please your parents when paying yourself is such a bad waste of money.

Don't spend money on how a house looks from the outside. It's inside is what matters.

Think carefully if you really want children. Do you want to travel, upgrade houses, cars, live it up will be impacted by those choices.

Don't shack up with just anyone. Make sure you both can live comfortably, financially, with secure decent jobs. Money isn't everything, but it helps an awful lot.

Travel young. Don't let it til you're starting to get crocked and irritated easily!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PP Lee

Forget about blowing a fortune on rent and other crap like DVDs and start saving for a house as early as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

gtfo Ireland. After gay Byrnes tenure on the late late show ended, things began a long decline. Go to a country where you pay your tax and you get back what you pay for in hospital care when you need it. To a country whose news channels and newspapers report general global events as well, and not the latest morsels of wisdom or gossip about U2 or Diarmuid Gavin.( Thanks but I'll do my own gardening my own untrained way although Monty over on BBC is a bit insightful indeed )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You don't even need to study to become wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When I was at school I had an autograph book.

Someone wrote this in it -

"Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe" 🛶

The person who wrote it died and the book was lost but the sentiment stayed with me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The person died alone in a boating accident whilst suffering with a STD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

An STD implies risky sexual behaviour.

Wouldn't that be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I wish I knew when I was young, the amount of careers it was possible to have. In particular working with animals, would love to be involved in conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Family isn't everything. Blood relations are more likely to fcuk you over than outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dan Steely

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Between people being thick, self centred and ignorant, there's not many left in the pot.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Read more and watch less brain numbing tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

How toxic social media is to our mental health.

How dangerous over consumption of smartphones can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nothing so interesting.

Alas most of life is lived in prose.

Only a few of us are lucky enough to remember in poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clones1980

Wish Id bought physical gold when it was only a couple of hundred euro an ounce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭jj880

I wish I could have appreciated the sacrifices my parents were making for me at a much younger age.

And the euro million numbers before they were drawn instead of after for the first 100m jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Planted more trees 20 years ago around the farm so I could enjoy them now....ive planted a few hundred this year for the young lads benefit.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭ruth...less

People (mainly men) are fragile but don't tip toe around their egos. Just do you're own thing. 😊

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wear sunscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Be yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I'd say jujitsu was something I came to after college and changed my life. It can be a way of life in in so many ways. It taught me so many things that they do not even directly teach you. Health, discipline, humility, patience, social, sacrifice, goals, charity, forgiveness, aggression, peace, over coming adversity, flexibility, balance and much more.

Compat, Jujitsu and other martial arts I have brought into my kids lives since they could pretty much toddle. And I see many of the same effects on them as it had on me. I wish I had it in my life since I was 3 rather than over 23.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 LastApacheInjun

Learn how to drive at 17. I was 46 by the time I learned how to drive. Laziness at the start, and then finances and babies and then a phobia of it got in the way.

Advertisement