Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

700 litres of oil used in 92 days

Options
  • 28-04-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Our house is 250sq metres, the house was built around 2003, we bought in 2017 and got walls pumped and attic insulated. I'd say the boiler is the same one that was put in when house was built in 2003

We got 700 litres January 29th and its all gone

7 larger radiators and 3 small ones downstairs

6 larger radiators upstairs

Oil used to heat water

We have a zoned system, able to heat upstairs,downstairs and water independently

We would heat water in the morning for an hour.

Upstairs and downstairs for around 45 minutes each in the morning, two downstairs during the day and upstairs for an hour in the evening.

Are we using more than we should, could there be a leak? Are ther any companies that can complete an efficiency test on the oil burner and check there are no leaks etc

Post edited by skydish79 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mct1

Out of interest I've compared this with ours and I wouldn't say it's high enough to suspect a leak.

We've 10 rads in a 200sq metre 1970s part-insulated house - 3 zones like yours. From 1 Dec to 1 March (last two fills) we used approx 600 litres. Our annual usage is about 1400 - we've solar panels so hardly need the oil boiler on at all from May to October.

You have a lot of radiators! Do they all have thermostats? We try to adjust ours quite often as our room usage changes so we're not heating spaces unecessarily. Your heating times sound reasonable but with so many rooms maybe you could look at this?

We had a new condensing boiler installed in 2019 and it did make a difference - the house is much warmer, though I can't say we noticed any difference in the oil consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

We get it serviced yearly, probably done in October

Cheers , ah that makes me feel a bit more comftable that there isn't a leak.

No none of the radiators have thermostats

We have no solar panels, we probably use around 1600 - 1800 litres of oil a year depending on the weather

Ok. You are saying you are heating rooms downstairs during the day. If that is all day and evening every day you will burn a lot of oil.

I use a lot less than you but usually don't turn it on till six in the evening unless there is a really cold period.

• Advertisement

Downstairs would be on in the morning for 45 minutes, an hour say around 12 and another hour around 3. Then we would have the stove fire that we would use to heat the living are we use.

Upstairs just heated for 45 minutes in the morning and an hour in the evening

It does sound like you using more than expected.

Very unlikely but is your tank locked, could a sneaky neighbour be taking some every now and again. I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

What model boiler is it - can you see the burner model too?
    Your service report might show what it's set to for how many litres of fuel it burns per hour.
    You can use that to get an idea whether or not your boiler is actually turning off when the water return is at a high enough temperature.

If it looks like it's not turning off at all, maybe check the thermostat in the boiler itself isn't set too high. If it's a condensing boiler you'll get better fuel economy by setting the boiler thermostat to about 60°C.
    If it's much higher than 65°C it'll need to burn a lot more fuel for very little extra heat indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

Sounds about right to me. My house is 320sqm, we use about 1100 litres a year but we both work a lot so often no need to turn on heating plus we have a stove we use to heat front room and spill keeps rest of house slightly warmer than ambient :)

What I have done though to keep track of oil usage is looked at boiler nozzle. Mine is a 0.85GPM nozzle, converting this to litres per hour it's approximately 3 LPH. So I have a counter next to the boiler control that we increment every time we turn on the boiler. It's not precise because boiler won't run continuously for an hour (i.e. it switches off once water in circuit gets to temperature) but it's close enough.

We bought 1000 litres of oil in November and counter is reading 860 and I dipped the tank and there's roughly 200 litres left.

I also have TRV's on most rads, there's 4 rooms we don't use much so temperature in them is set to ~16C to stop damp. Others are set to ~19C.

We don't use boiler during summer at all as all hot water handled by solar PV system.

You asked about efficiency of boiler, does the boiler service include a report on the CO level etc? The service should include an analysis of the exhaust and replacement of the nozzle. If he's not doing that then get a different service person. I had a couple of these chancers out to 'service' my boiler who did nothing more than open the cover and clean the baffles. I could do that myself I told them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭blackbox

The stove - does it use oil or solid fuel?

Do you use oil for cooking e.g an Aga or similar?

• Advertisement

Its a firebird popular 115, thermostat on the boiler was set at around 65

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm noticing we are using a lot of oil recently, think it's the extra long cold weather spell. We did measure the level, and didn't use the oil for 24 hours and measured again to see if there was any kind of leak. There was no change.

Thanks,

It's a local plumber that does the servicing.

Might be time to get someone out that actually gives a report on the efficiency etc.

We are in the north east, if anyone has used a reputable company

Not a good idea. I hope he has been changing the nozzle. You should definitely get a service from someone qualified now.

Thanks to everyone for all the information and tips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Have you a stat in the house, what are they set at ?

I've a similarly sized house, and I was using about 1800L pa

Got 2 stoves & solar in and usage dropped to about 1200l pa

The stat is set to 19.9c downstairs and about 17c upstairs .

Here's a helpful guide to how much oil your boiler is using:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200121015503/http%3A//thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2011/02/how-much-does-an-oil-boiler-cost-per-hour/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's really impossible to say since we don't know how efficient your house is.

700l is about 200hrs of continuous run time for that boiler. Of course most boilers don't run continuously but for such a large house, 1hr in the morning and another in the evening would likely have a high percentage of run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Your local plumber might also have set that thermostat at 65.
    It's the ideal temperature for modern condensing boilers.
    Unfortunately yours is non-condensing and will heat the rads faster if set around 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I didn’t think there was anything magic about 65deg on a condensing boiler - the differential temp would be what you are aiming for. I think grant recommend a flow of 70degrees with a return of about 50deg to enable maximum condensing time.

80 degrees seems very hot, many boilers wouldn’t even have a duty stat that allows for this.

• Advertisement

Both stats are set at target of 20

Ok so should I set it up to 80.

What difference does it make having it at 65 rather than 80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s the temperature of the water which circulates within the radiators and heating coil on your cylinder.

I would say set it for 70deg. 65 deg is possibly a little low to allow for a cylinder to be brought up to temp and the zone to shut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

my calculation you are using the boiler approx 5hours per day

if your boiler is firing for 4hours of that period on a .85 nozzle which is most likely in your boiler you could be using approx 12 litres per day

so approx 85litres per week

it doesnt seem high usage to me

Update

Got boiler serviced and checked out today

Boiler efficeincy between 79 and 82%

Has set thermostat at 70degrees

Nothing else needed replacing

He agreed with yee, usage isn't out of the norm, given the especially cold period

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's when you have to fill the oil tank 3 times as often as you did only 4 years ago is when you wonder have you got a leak.

You don't, it's payback.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Can you explain how you got those boiler efficiency figures?

Did you get a combustion printout?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

No didn't get a printout, he had a machine with him that he was using

They are sending invoice later tomorrow, ill ask him for that printout

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Also ask how he got those efficiency numbers.

How long did the service take?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Advertisement