Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offer but not sure if I should leave the HSE yet?

Options
  • 27-04-2024 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all, I work as a clerical officer in the HSE. I'm not enamored with where I am currently but am hoping after the freeze ends more opportunities will arise. In the meantime I have been looking around. I was offered a job in the private sector. The starting pay is really low but they tell me I can apply for incremental credit. Im trying to weigh things up. I will lose out on flexi days and parental leave and I get more annual leave in my current job but I do get hybrid working. Then there the public pay rise. Am I mad to stay or mad to consider leaving?I'm older so pension doesnt amount to much anyway. I had hoped to move up quickly when I joined but the freeze put a stop to that. I know ultimately the decision is mine just hoping for some feedback. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mick ah

Don't do it OP.

Only move jobs if it's going to help you achieve your goals.

Low pay in private industry is just that, low pay. You'd want to be getting a pay increase to leave the public service. Especially when you consider the other benefits of the PS that you listed.

How ambitious are you regarding "moving up" and do you really believe that this company will offer opportunities you're looking for? Why didn't you apply for roles in the private sector that you consider to be a step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you on Public Jobs panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

One benefit of a Public Service job is the opportunity for employer funded further education. getting qualifications leads to promotions. Maybe consider that!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭tohaltuwi

you would be mad to leave your public service job, the private one might not be great either, no guarantee of future pay rises without doing further courses. Sick leave, annual leave, flexi-days etc all important. Do any courses on offer in the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 JesseJane

I didn't know the salary until the end of the interview and when I questioned it they said I could apply for incremental credit after I started the job but theres no guarantee I would get it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The PS pension is a valuable part of the job.

I'd hang out for them: the HSE is a bit of a basket case at times, other places often had more actual opportunities.

A private sector job where you can apply for incremental credit is very unusual: maybe it's got a government contract so is using government payscales? This could make it OK because there would be increments - but as hou say without the other benefits, or wider opportunities.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I wouldn't move for less money. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

That means no. If it's not committed to it's not happening

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

There are far better in private roles.

My old Diageo pisses all over the public sector pension (especially if one factors in the state pension, which public pension removes)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

No for anyone older who is a new entrant to the single-pension scheme. Unless they can manage some very quick promotions (which just isn't possible in some organisations), they may end up with a government-employer pension which gives them virtually nothing, due to the state pension equivalent being deducted before any payment is calculated. (I'm explaining that horribly).

Nope you're right.

They could end up paying their state pension contribution their entire life, pay into the public sector pension for the time they are there too, and literally come away with just the equivalent of the state pension value.

It's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have 30 years A stamp contributions and joined c.s this year and am deducted at least 15/week into pension .Is this money down the drain so

It depends on how long you stay, and if you get promoted to a high enough salary that the public-sector pension contributions you made by retirement a large enough that you qualify for a pension higher than the state pension.

But - quite possibly yes, it's down the drain. Compulsory to contribute, and you may get absolutely nothing back. It's hugely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

In your circumstances, OP, I would stay where you are for now. It sounds like you're giving up a lot.

I would also be very wary of a private company telling you you can apply for incremental credit based on your public sector role, but "no guarantees".

If unhappy in your current role, and hybrid working is your incentive for moving jobs, maybe apply for other public sector roles, specifically civil service. Or hold out for the panels you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay where you are OP. Don't move unless it really makes sense to. Sounds like you're not feeling it. It has to be about more than money to move. But then I'm a bit of a stickler, so take that with a pinch of salt. I very recently turned down a job that would have given me a pay increase of about 500%. It would have meant moving to Sweden (the very north near the arctic circle) and coming home to family maybe twice per month. It was a very interesting role with great salary of course, but ultimately the money wasn't enough. Family values. So do consider what you are leaving before moving…even if it's not to a different country.

Stay Free

Yes, the SPSPS is less generous than the previous PS schemes.

But it is still good.

What you outline is possible, but will only apply to people on an annual wage of 29k.

If the PS wage is low, say 30k, then both the pension contributions and the benefits will be low.

It is not the case that low-paid PS are making big pension conts, and getting less back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement

I don't think this is possible? I will check. Take a PS on 30k.

Contributions

= 3% of 30,000 = 900

plus 3.5% of (30,000 less 2*52.18*277.30) = 3.5% of (30,000 - 28,939) = 37

Total contribution = 937 pa

Total contribution over 40 years = 37,480

Benefits

Tax free lump-sum of 3.75% of 30,000 = 1125 * 40 yrs = 45,000

On the lump alone, you are ahead.

Pension = 0.58% of 30,000 = 174 * 40 years = 6960 pension per annum

You are ignoring age of entry.

Do some modelling for someone entering at age 56 with 30 years of Class A stamps, for example and its a very different story.

Contribution is low - but benefit next to non existent.

The issue is when the person joins and how many years to pension

Obviously if years of service is low, then pension is lower.

But that applies to all pensions schemes.

All pension schemes don't reduce their pay to match your state pension

In my private sector job, I can choose not to join the pension scheme if there would be no payout. State sector employees have no choice in the matter.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

I can also "top up" my pension contributions which, if I stay, I plan to do or else it will be worth very little by retirement. There is a lot to consider to be honest but I'm swaying towards staying for now and trying to get on other PS panels when the opportunities arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That depends on a few variables in reality. For a lot of people the pension isn't the be all and end all as mentioned by others.

That said, there are others benefits to PS working however not everybody has access to them, depending on role etc.

I would want to be taking a significant pay rise to leave the service however.

Yeah I tried to get in for years mainly for the security and the chance to move up. It's the recruitment freeze that's put a dampner on things because I'm stuck somewhere I don't want to be! I wish they would end it as its causing problems for everyone those waiting on the panels, those in positions unsuitable or otherwise and of course the service users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

same here. Why i ever left it i do not know. Im checking hse website every day

Advertisement