Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi problems

Options
  • 27-04-2024 11:42am
    Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Taxi Complaints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭juno10353

Sorry for activating old post. But just got taxi from Westbury Hotel rank to Wynns Hotel. Taxi wanted, after wandering around, to drop me outside Abbey theatre. After midnight, and telling me its only a few hundred yards. Agree agreeing to go around corner to store street police station. I made complaint.. paid taxi. And waited over half hour to ger taxi to hotel. Nightmare in Dublin. Female 66 asked to walk streets after dark even after commissioning taxi. Horrendous

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - I split this out OP, from the old thread as posters will otherwise be replying to old posts, posts from closed accounts and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d say Joe Duffy show would love you 😀

Not sure about road set up around there these days with the Luas — can taxis actually drive on the road beside Wynns hotel? I know there’s a big Luas station there now. Abbey theatre is like 100 meters at most from Wynns hotel - it’s hardly cause for a Garda complaint

My only taxi story is once about 30 years ago I got into a taxi on Stephen’s green- very quiet afternoon so loads of taxis lined up doing nothing -told the driver the destination and more importantly what route to take. - reason being some taxi drivers didn’t know the route and others would try and take a long way around -He told me “I don’t have to follow your route instructions”

So I said right, stop the car- he stopped, I got out and left the door open and walked back to the taxi rank and started again, this time with no issues.

I don’t know how long that taxi driver queued in that rank- probably an hour anyway- he lost his place over being a right pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

You wouldn't even close the door behind you? You we're as much of a prick doing that imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tohaltuwi

Defo one for Joe, bring it on! 😁😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Methinks the OP is not going to get the reaction to this she was anticipating...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

You can make a complaint to the NTA, there's even an online complaint form, see https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/how-to-complain/complain-about-taxis-hackneys-limousines/

Assuming there was no physical reason the taxi driver couldn't take you to the hotel door then what they did was absolutely unacceptable and they deserve to be reported.

Does it really though? That's quite a way to live your life. You already walked away, he lost the fare and had to go back to the rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You were a pr1ck for leaving the door open, childish behavior and says more about you than the driver.

• Advertisement

🤪oh lighten up - what are you a taxi driver or something

Waste of time, the NTA dont care about petty reports like that. the ops word against the driver as well.

it can be hard to get taxis at times, so why go out of your way to annoy them? them complain about lack of taxis when they decide its not worth the hassle?

anyone who acts like you did have issues in my opinion, if I was in your situation, I would have asked him/her to stop the car and got out but I wouldn't be so pathetic as to leave the door open like a spoilt teenager.

so do you have a terrible taxi story or are you just here to badger me because I left a door open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

that explains it 😀

Another taxi story- doing a 35km journey, half of it motorway- gave driver destination at start - when he got to the motorway he drove no more than 85kmph- he was a moody pr1ck , you just can tell- so I said nothing -so obviously he was milking the journey for every penny - however he missed the correct turn - next turn was 15km away - that would mean a lot more money - so I told him what the average journey cost me - we agreed to that but I’ve never seen someone go from 85kmph to 120kph so quickly 😀

That's neither here nor there. Doesn't excuse the OPs childish petulant behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Leaving the door open was a dick move, agreed. Just letting people know there's a bad faith poster operating in the thread, you'll never get a reasonable debate out of him.

• Advertisement

it wouldnt cost more if he drove at 85 kmph, it would cost the exact same price as if he drove at 120kmph or even 180kmph. so get you facts right before you accuse a taxi driver of ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I would have got out while he was still driving on the motorway and left the door open.

It most certainly did make a difference back in the day of this story - you’re still doing you’re angry man act

Naw much more fun seeing him realising he wasn’t going to be able to take me to the cleaners and having to take my word on how much the journey would normally cost

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

7-8 years ago, Taxi rank outside Cafe EnSeine, was going to southside.

1st car in rank - 1998 toyota corolla in bits,

2nd car in rank - 2014 skoda superb looking clean.

I went to 2nd car, cue shouty outrage from driver in car #1 saying I have to take his car.

I said I can choose any car I want, he said no, I must take him, I said there is no way I was going anywhere his car and even moreso I would not be in a car with such an aggressive asshule as him.

So I just stood back until some other poor punter took his car and then I got into the Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kurooi

I'll use the space to rant. I've been using Bolt (taxi hailing app similar to Freenow) In UK this app functioned much like uber you'd get randos driving you and the service was spotty, sometimes good sometimes bad.

In Ireland it seems to find exclusively taxis. Regular registered ones with all the stickers and numbers and everything. But the app handles payment and has a system and live map. I have several times now noticed taxi drivers accepting the fare, for me to then watch them on the map finishing other fares. Once I even saw the taxi drive past me with people in it, and saw him stop at a hotel few streets down to then come back to me. 15 minutes waiting around where there are a lot of taxis around ready to take the fare.

I am starting to think this must happen a lot actually, and bolt just has that map so for once I see them when they're doing dodgy stuff. Another annoyance I have with it is that these drivers then keep scrolling their phone looking at the next fare all through my trip practically never look at the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Uber and Bolt both allow drivers to accept fares close to an imminent drop off. Uber will tell you that sometimes "driver is making a drop off" so you know when they drive a weird way they'll still come back for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

My taxi story is a little different, after a long flight got a taxi at Dublin airport,on route (200meters) asked the driver to take a certain route. He became very aggressive and said we could get out. Is there anything else we could have done, we had 4 suitcases and elderly. We had to go along with him.

• Advertisement

you took the decision based on circumstance of other people and the fact they’d have to walk back and probably queue again - you made the right choice - reporting him to whatever authority is all you could have done but that would have been purely to feel you took back some control - I’d doubt anything concrete would have been achieved - I can understand that - I was on my own no baggage so could do what I liked- and yes I probably did act a bit dickish but that’s what I felt at the time - like you he was aggressive towards me so I just wanted out of the cab it was 30 years ago .
    He kindof had you over a barrel and he knew it - it gives good taxi drivers a bad name - the next taxi I got into after my episode was a lady funnily enough - I told her what happened and she was very understanding and told me how she’d always ask the passenger if there was a preferred route they’d like to take

Advertisement