Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spot to hitchhike out of Galway towards Dublin?

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say they're having you on. Very unlikely and unbelievable story.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭tohaltuwi

Court case is published. I’m not linking to it here because it’s a friend. Sued for mental trauma some time later, there were no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

There's probably more substance than tripping getting out of the car such as pulled away too soon etc as to receive compo would require a negligent act and simply exiting a stationary car, its hard to see how a driver could be negligent. in certain european countries with strict liability on motor vehicles it could be a different case entirely but their damages are way lower as is, suprisingly, inclination to claim. Rideshare seems to be more popular there too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We always hitch hiked everywhere as teenagers, late 80s early 90s. All hours of the day and night. But no young person had a car then!

Also, I remember hitching seemed to die around the times women were going missing, the last time I did was in 94, Going to the Dublin mountains and a complete weirdo picked me up, was clearly trying to.frighten me. Now whether he was trying to teach me a lesson, or he was just in fact, a weirdo, that was the end of thumbing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 domi_94

So, sitting at the airport now (13 Euro for a one-way trip btw, awesome), I can tell the rest of my experience. It turned out way different than I expected to be honest.

No idea if this board is being indexed, but my tip for future campers would be: around Galway, by Salthill, there are public changing rooms everywhere, open to the public. Find one that doesn't smell like piss and you'll be safe from rain and wind. It was still a little cold tonight with just the sleeping bag and small inflatable mattress, but absolutely doable. Met a nice swimming instructor in the morning who encouraged me to go to Dublin road as well. Thanks go out to a random Finish woman I met who told me about this.

I talked to a bus driver and he ended up taking me for free to near that road. I put my things down around 8am, and 5 minutes later, a curious girl from Nigeria came up to me, asking if I did hitchhiking for the experience, or because of money issues. I said it's mostly the latter in Ireland at least, and she actually insisted on buying me a bus ticket. There was some time still so we went to her house, had a cup of tea, chatted about life and in the end, she said a little prayer for me (I'm not religious, but what a nice gesture still). I invited her to couchsurf at mine in Berlin if I am not homeless at that time, and made my merry way onwards, none the wiser about hitchhiking in Ireland. Thank you again so much if you read this!

I spent the day at Beatty's, walking to an already closed museum and then walking to the airport. Good time in Dublin, I guess. Taking some Irish Black Pudding with me, in case I'll find a frying pan somewhere.

To conclude: people I met in real life were optimistic about hitchhiking, people online the opposite. I guess in the end it will only depend on the individual, and I met some nice ones on my short time here in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Send it to me by private message. I won't publish it but I'll eat my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭tohaltuwi

that was a nice conclusion of O0’s trip, met some nice people! I will definitely pick hitchhikers up on the Scottish island 😃

Advertisement