Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaolin powder

Options
  • 26-04-2024 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

HI all , have a calf bad with a watery scour, hess in good form.

Just wondering how do u mix the powder what quantities, the calf is a suckler so I'll probably have to stomach tube him.

Do I mix on water or maverick, and what consistency. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I usually just mix it light enough that it will get into them. I wouldn't say it's water soluble really, seems to just be suspended in the water if you know what I mean. Vet has it done up in bags so when I need it I get it off him. Think the standard dose is 25g twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

What age is the calf, are you sure it’s not crypto scour?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

THe calf is 2.5 weeks old, I didn't have my regular vet on ly a stand in and he wasn't much good, if it was crypto what would work or more importantly what wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

I’m treating a couple of calves for Crypto here, yellow watery scour, usually get it around 9 days old. Treatment is two cereal spoons of Parofor powder dissolved in 120 mls warm eater once a day for three days and a shot of Forcyl and Metacam on the first day. I just dose the Parofor slowly down the throat with a 60ml syringe.. Always works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Kaolin is a pretty crude tool and apart from thickening the dung, it won't too much if anything else to help the calf recover from its ailment.

Pectolit is super stuff and nothing but good for the calf, once an animal is healthy and in a good environment here they get over bugs like crypto without any medication in a day or two.

(Only issue is I think it's made in Israel!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement