Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which service provider?

Options
  • 26-04-2024 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I'm not living in Ireland, this is for my mother.

She was under my Netflix account, and was using that, until they recently changed the rules and she can't be on my account anymore, as we're not in the same country.

Anyway, she told me she's paying 100 euro a month for an internet/tv/phone package… Virgin.

She doesn't need high speed internet, so, I'm not sure if this is expensive or not… (I'm in Thailand and paying 8 euro a month for my internet)

Anyway, what are some good options, for internet/tv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hopefully she's not in an area only serviced by virgin. Use something like bonkers.ie and click on broadband and then enter her eircode. You can find that on eircode.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir is €34.99pm for broadband+phone bundle, and you can add TV & Mobile for €9.99pm each, so total €54.97pm for Internet/phone/TV/mobile. Eir also let you do multiroom TV with no additional monthly fee, if you buy your own additional Apple TV boxes (The first Apple TV box comes free with the bundle). Just remember to call them at the end of the 12 month contract to renew the discounts, or pay an extra €5pm for a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭grinder23

Eir also let you do multiroom TV with no additional monthly fee

Is this true can you link to where this is stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir TV uses a standard Apple TV 4k box, unlike the other providers who use their own proprietary boxes. Hence you can add your own boxes if you buy them yourself and load the eir TV app on them (rather than renting as part of your bundle). The other providers force you to pay monthly fees for their proprietary boxes. Eir even sell reconditioned Apple TV boxes for €59.99 on their eir store site. They don't advertise the no fee multiroom option, but many of us have figured it out and can vouch that it works, and you will find other posts on Boards TV forum confirming this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm with eir and got the apple TV in store, he said I would probably get one in the post as well and if so just keep it. I did and both have been working fine for the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

€100/pm is out of contract price for most providers. Good price would be:

€30-€40 for Broadband

€40-55 for Broadband and TV

If your mother is not very tech savvy it's best not to mess around with changing providers. Tell her to call Virgin Media and scare them that she's considering switching provider as it's too expensive. They'll make her a cheaper offer.

There's much more steps involved in changing provider from Virgin Media. Giving 30 days notice, checking that there's wiring for other providers sometimes Virgin has monopoly over the building, drilling new sockets, clearing ducts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bacon?

Thanks guys

Advertisement