Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you have switched to road disk and did you keep your rim brake bike?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

More important to check the blocks I'd say. I once got caught in a massive downpour on country roads and by the time I was near home I could hear grinding when I used the brakes - grit embedded in the brake blocks which was pulling aluminium off the rims. I had to pull it all out with a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Although urban commuting requires more braking, it's relatively light/short braking compared to shedding 80km/h on an Alpine descent heading for a hairpin. Have you checked the surface of your brake pads since starting this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭fiacha

Inspect the blocks and see how they are holding up. Is there any contamination in them that could be causing additional rim wear ? Are the blocks wearing unevenly ? If so, I'd go for something better quality.

I've had the same rims on my single speed since 2009. The breaking surfaces are still perfect. I give the rims and blocks a very quick clean after every wet spin and give them a proper clean every couple of weeks. I don't do hills :) so they don't see any regular hard breaking. Blocks are just standard Shimano R55C? for alloy rims.

Preventative maintenance is the key for longevity of even consumable parts like brake blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

inspect the pads frequently and if you notice bits of metal/grit embedded in them, sand them down with some sandpaper or a file until they are clean. Sanding the pads also helps prevent the pads squeaking!

Advertisement