Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redress from the taxpayer. What did we do?!

Options
  • 21-04-2024 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Why every time that there is some landmark ruling do the government do the we're sorry here's alot of taxpayer money card. And get away with it.

Why are the people actually responsible not footing the bill? Johnny taxpayer is a mug

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am guessing you are partially referencing the latest stardust inquiry? Have the costs of the recent inquiry even been announced? I read it was over a million before it even started...not to mention the previous inquiries and reports. Oh plus the manager owner getting over 500k of a payout. Next up likely another redress scheme, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Augme

The people responsible were employed by the State, therefore the State is responsible for their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭lmk123

What people responsible were employed by the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Possibly the people who came up with the original conclusion of arson which was a scandal really.

The judge who, in 1981, determined the cause of the fire was arson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭lmk123

oh right sorry, I thought Augme was referring to starting the fire or chaining the doors shut

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We are the State.

If wrong is done in our name it is just that we provide redress.

It may be possible in some cases to ensure that any individual who has done wrong is made to contribute to costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How can anyone with an ounce of empathy begrudge the stardust familys a payout? The last 43 years of their lives have been nothing but stress and hell. Now that they finally have some closure maybe they can start to live and enjoy life.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Packrat

I was 7 then. I wasn't there. I didnt live in Dublin. I actually had nothing at all to do with it.

It's very sad. But lots of things ate sad.

Nobody paid me or anyone in my extended family when two relatives, one a toddler, were murdered by a madman who the state let wander about because they couldn't be bothered to lock the fxxcker up.

Now tell me why I should pay for their loss.

Couldn't maybe the cnuts who did it pay? It seems they have enough property and resources including the half a million we already gave them 40 years ago...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Who did the bigger wrong? The judge who wronged the taxpayers by giving a half a million of our money to the perpetrators of the unlawful killing or those same bastards who chained the doors shut and murdered all those young people?

Either way, the taxpaying donkey gets his hole opened again despite having nothing to do with it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,112 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if you are talking about stardust, i tend to agree.

on the base level there was a fire in club, people died.

i'm unsure why the government needs to issue an official apology for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's not what the apology will be for.

The apology will be for how the State treated the victims and their families, including the nasty smears that the fire had been started deliberately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The owner of the Stardust got 500,000 Irish punts when the inquest declared incorrectly that the fire was caused by arson.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There's already been compensation in the 80s, a total of £10.4 million paid out to 823 people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

OP username apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A tiny sum. Those families deserve redress from the State for how they were treated in the 43 years since.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Meh Taxes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

Ultimately the government and we are responsible. When we take a cut via taxes and impose regulations and rules we may not be directly responsible but become culpable.

It's important that wider society accepts responsibility for things it's involved in because without that there is no society.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Ruth Coppinger tweeted late last week that the owners all had links with FF… Charles Haughty in particular.

Now go check on the Judge who said it was most probably arson… Another, linked with FF.

That judgement allowed the Butterlys claim compensation from the State…

https://www.thejournal.ie/stardust-inquiries-6359200-Apr2024/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

Nobody is defending unlawful or immoral acts. People are just trying to right the pain and wrongs they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The relatives (and survivors) of the 48 deserve any form of compensation due to them for this tragic event 43 years ago.

They're not currently seeking redress, but justice and the recent ruling gives the survivors and relatives some peace at last.

Anyone who feels that they're paying for the redress through taxation well don't worry, it's likely to be 0.0000000000001cent so get over yourselves.

Where did i say that anyone was defending unlawful or immoral acts? I didn't. That's where.

Right the wrong; ok, then bankrupt the family who owned it and their heirs who benefitted financially from the immoral and unlawful acts.

I nor anyone else paying taxes var that family didn't do anything and shouldn't be made to pay for it.

It's a more general point about public compensation for the crimes of private entities or individuals. The mica case on Donegal springs to mind. Again, i nor probably you didn't scam anyone with substandard materials, but we must pay for it. Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You keep ignoring the state's effective role in covering it up. The state made rulings about the case and as a result, families are only getting closure after 40 years.

Yep, it's no surprise to see FF neck deep i nprotecting their dodgy mates. It's always been a core function of the party and I very much doubt anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

I think ultimately the government have decided to pay something. Presumably for several reasons from, I dunno, potential legal exposure to old fashioned politics in the run up to an election. They act on our behalf and we can turf them out at an election. We don't, nor IMO should we, as individuals, get to decide our taxes will be spent on X but not on Y, it would be a recipe for anarchy. I mean, I get the general point, but you couldn't operate a government/society like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

10m plus in the 80s is not a tiny sum.

It would make more sense if things were focussed on a criminal prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The deaths of 48 people (plus the unborn baby of one woman) in that fire was a terrible tragedy. There was a long list of decisions made by the venue owners that contributed to those deaths and while that wasn't the fault of the state, the subsequent tribunals and government reports seemed more concerned with the cause of the fire instead of the devastating outcome. If the initial inquest had reached the same verdict as this inquest, it's likely the families would not have continued with their campaign for accountability. An apology and some form of redress is the right thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Under what scheme did the owner receive compensation? Are uninsured victims of arson usually compensated by the State?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The families were denied justice by the justice system, run by the state

Advertisement