Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I was in the Outer Hebrides past few days, lots of phone boxes there still if you’re into nostalgia 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Did people use to check cinema times in the paper? I can't remember.

I know we used Teletext to check it mostly but I remember a few times where we didn't or else got there and it was packed and having to hang around for an hour and half for the next movie.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Getting lost somewhere, and unfolding a map with a square acreage similar to lichtenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In Dublin, checked them in the Evening Herald iirc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭PP Lee

Those bockety old red Leyland CIE coaches. They even had an ashtray attached to the back of the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Counting out rhymes with the N Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

As I found out on my last time on a train , there’s no food service , just sandwiches

Does anyone speak Scottish there ? Or is it all English ?

There's a ridiculous amount of nostalgia for on train catering. When there was sit-down dining on Irish Rail, it was by and large greasy spoon fried food. Nothing special. The way people go on you'd swear it was a meal on the Orient Express.

Those newspaper sandwich boards with headlines of the day, seem to have disappeared here, still a thing in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes they definitely did, you would scour the listings to a) see what films were showing in which cinema, b) what times they were on and c) what rating were there and do you think we'll get into that, it's 15s?? 🤣 I distinctly remember wondering and worrying if me and my friends would get in the Carlton to see The Hand that Rocks the Cradle cos we were only 14 at the time and we'd come all the way into town for it (from D15).

The only sample I could find on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Well, I can't see it in the Carlton but would the Savoy be any good to you? Or even the Santry Omniplex? 😄

I think I went to see Naked Lunch in the Screen at O'Connell Bridge, when I should have been concentrating on my first year college exams.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I could be mixing up the memory I have of queuing on the Carlton side of O'Connell Street for tickets with some other film around the same era. Great find @Badly Drunk Boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You couldn’t trust the Aertel cinema listings, they were always way off. Dublin had its own page on it but the rest of the country had a single page that you had to wait for ages for it to cycle through to your page.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The Celtic Tiger.

You mean The Celtic Tiger aftermath. The Celtic Tiger was fun.

Only for some.

The aftermath was a real kick in the nuts.

Ye true. I remember someone saying that it was like pigs sitting at a table full of food and the table was so full they dropped big crumbs for the plebs not at the table and everyone was fed but then there was less food on the table and the pigs got more careful, they were still fed but there was no more big crumbs falling off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I dont get the Celtic Tiger referee it certainly wasn't around in the 70s and 80s most of the 1990s.

I'm re-reading The Life and Time of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson it's a lovely easy-read.

Although its set in 1950s and 60s suburban America it captures well what it was like for a suburbsn child in Ireland or any developed country before the internet, endless cycling around with no exact purpose, allowed to walk to town by himself, stupid pranks involving a magnifying glass, being taken to visit old boring scary relatives and so on.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The 90's were a bit different, from my recollection the Septic Tiger went on it's roid rage rampage from about 2003 onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hodger

I have an uncle in his early 80s now.

Back in the late 60s or early 70s when he worked as a barman in a hotel there was a member of the hotel staff and it was known knowledge he was cheating on his wife with someone else.

Once the hotel management found out he was officially fired over it.

Ok cheating scum yes but to officially fire someone over something in their private life outside the workplace I could not agree with.

In present day Ireland I couldn,t see anyone being officially fired for something in their private life such as the story I outlined from my uncles workplace .

Eileen Flynn the school teacher in wexford who was fired from her school over her private life outside the school in present day Ireland I also couldnt see a school being able to get away with firing a teacher for any similar reasons .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I agree no concorde my favourite plane of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tommy Docherty at Man Utd was fired for an affair with physios wife... thats a messy one. In the late 70s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was never much of a cinema goer but 1991/92 was probably the peak for me. Delicatessen, Cape Fear, Naked Lunch, Silence Of The Lambs.

Of course, at home, we relied on the Leinster Leader for the cinema times because I don't think they were on the regional page on Aertel. There was always a bit of a delay before new releases made it to us…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,983 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

these Dublin buses… if sitting downstairs and aft of the doorway for an hour on the way home from town, when you got home your hearing would be a bit shot. Noisy old pieces of shît.

There was another type though that while not so loud was often a bit smelly and smokey, always a slightly burnt rubber aroma that you could sometimes smell on your clothes a day later

Public transport is way more comfy, less smelly..

Maybe ,but after 2 hours on a bus and another few ahead of you on a train it's nice to have a chance to sit down for a meal . Maybe even a drink.

• Advertisement

God the smell of those buses still lingers, as you mentioned the smell of fumes or burning downstairs on the back of some of these meant I always sat upstairs or suffered nausea.

The smell upstairs was different but if it had been raining the musty aroma of damp seats from people getting on with wet coats and umbrellas would knock you over. I may be a bit sensitive to smells 🤣

Advertisement