Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Speaking of the Beano (used to get nearly every week back in the mid 1980s as a kid, plus the Dandy and Topper sometimes too) - anyone else here a former member of the Dennis The Menace Fan Club? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Lol, yes, I had that wallet and those badges. So cool. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PP Lee

Whizzer & Chips and Buster were my two favourite comics as a kid. I still have a 1989 Bash Street Kids annual at my parents house also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Raiding the Trocaire box when the parents went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yes indeed I am too - missy have a root around to see if I still have those - probably not worth anything much as I’d say millions in kids in the UK we’re members also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sportsnight on a Wednesday evening, particularly when they covered the World Cup or Euro qualifiers. The only problem was you'd sometimes be subjected to the BBC NI version which, instead of showing highlights of 5 or 6 games, would show 50mins of "highlights" of a 0-0 draw with someone 🤣

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Ah same! lol. My sisters used to get Bunty and Mandy comics. Older bro got Eagle and 2000 AD. I used to love the annuals.

We used to have them ordered at the newsagent so we never missed an issue. They'd be picked up once a week and have our surname on the price tags.

Thinking back, was a great way for the parents to keep the kids busy in a house with one TV and no other screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

My sister read Twinkle. Mostly trifly cartoony stories. One serious story, can't remember the name but concerned a life of an early teenage years girl on a farm in Scotland. In one episode, her idiot city cousin nearly gets mangled up by the Combine Harvester.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭GeneralSherman

things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

15 year old's dying giving birth in a grotto

The marriage ban

The Troubles

Haughey

Thatcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Another one I forgot. Remember my mother figuring out I was raiding it and covering the top with sellotape.

Remember those bike reflectors from Kellogs that came in the box. I remember one box had about 10 in it. Both my wheels were full of them. I just found them on e bay.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=kelloggs+bike+reflectors+cockerel&_sop=10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭thesandeman

In the very very small newspaper section of Lidl before you get to the till, the Beano and Ireland's Own are the two standout publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭thesandeman

One that stands out for me was from Roy Of The Rovers. The team brought in a new signing from Ireland (big fecker) who was going to save them from regulation.

In his first game he grabbed the ball, ran up the pitch flattening most of the opposition with his fist in the process and booted it over the bar while exclaiming "Dats a goal and a point for me" 🤣🤣

The actual page of the comic still enters my head occasionally even though it's nearly fifty years since I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

From the Soccer Story in the Victor Annual 1981:

The Team are on their way by coach to the Club Final.

A fan in a car overtakes the coach and has to get back on the left hand side quickly and the coach has to brake very hard.

This results in one of the players on the coach breaking his leg. Then the hero of the story can actually play in the final.

ffs. What a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Important in this era to bring your boots to away games as a fan in case you are called upon to step into the breach!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Archeron

Walking down city streets and being worried that some of the wrecked abandoned buildings might fall on you.

I have childhood memories of a big blue hotel on Gardiner street in Dublin that i always hated walking past, it was about six stories high and held together with bits of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭thereiver

I remember smash hits it was very well written with reviews of the latest pop albums and lyrics of hit songs .it was a big deal when virgin opened a large shop in Dublin with a wide range for cds vinyl records and magazines for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shootings and bombings nearly every week. Punishment beatings, kneecappings. Armed bank robberies.

But hey, the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Warlord. Great comic. Had my members wallet and handbook and the prerequisite WW2 era looking codebook, to talk in secret to all my fellow fanboys. All one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I was also a member of this exclusive club and I was also in the esteemed "Desperate Dan's Pie Eaters Club"

Also some club from the Irish Press.

Needed to get a postal order from the post office to send off the entry fee for these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭standardg60

I was in the weetabix club.

There was very little to do in the 80's, receiving post from a club was the highlight of many a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Having to get a bank loan to buy a 32MB (yes MB) hard disk card for my twin floppy Amstrad 1512 PC.

It plugged into an expansion slot and took up the entire width of the 1512.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

640 road deaths in 1972.

Smaller population with less cars and less mileage completed.
    The drink driving must’ve been off the charts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was. The limit was vastly higher than now and barely enforced.

Add in cars with rusted out floors, no seat belts and six kids in the back; and a road network with about 20km of dual carriageway (Naas Road, Stillorgan bypass and not a lot else).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

There was actually an advertising campaign for road safety that "two will do", i.e. leave it to two pints lads and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭standardg60

Next to no crash protection in cars too, steering column and engine block would come straight into the passenger compartment, and B pillars would disintegrate if hit from the side.

Dual carriageways and motorways certainly made a difference, but worth noting they only bothered separating the carriageways with a hedge. It's why the M4 has a wire barrier, it was only added afterwards after several accidents where vehicles crossed the median.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Archeron

TV ads during the troubles asking to give info to the police. If some of those scenes were in movies they'd be rated 18.

Anytime i hear "cats in the cradle", to this day i associate it with the ad where gunmen open fire in a busy pub and you see people being shot all around. I was only a kid, but i remember that one as being very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Brilliant! I’d forgotten this. I was in it too. The Gnasher badge was a soft, fabric one. The reverse of that card was where you filled in some details.
    You had to send off for this with a stamped, self addressed envelope IIRC. That, and ‘answers on a postcard’ competitions are consigned to history now.

Mention of the Weetabix club, who remembers saving tokens and posting them off for stuff off cereal boxes? Weetabix atlas, Kellogg’s vintage die cast cars etc.

My aul lad got a rain jacket with Zip fireligther tokens in the early 90’s he was honestly still wearing it in the 2010’s. It’s probably still in his wardrobe!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Advertisement