Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT or Road Tax

Options
  • 19-04-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My car an 2007 Audi A4 was involved in minor accident over a year ago and declared a write off by the insurance, basically frontal damage requiring replacement bumper, wing, bonnet and main light. Having just put money into it beforehand I was reluctant to allow it to be scrapped and purchased it from the insurance intending to fix the damage myself as insurance said they would be happy as long as I produced an engineers report.

It has taken longer than I expected to source the parts, so the car has been garaged over an year now but I never declared it off the road and only now getting around to replace the damaged pieces.

How does the NCT and tax work in this case ? Would I be better selling the car to my wife or daughter to avoid 15 months back tax about (1k) and since NCT is only for 1 year would I need to do it twice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Magown3

Book an nct appointment as you would and Yes, Sell it to a family member and then back to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, you won't need to do the NCT twice.

Edit: I may have been wrong on this. On first read, I assumed the NCT was out by more than 1 year. If it's out by less than that, the test will be backdated to the last expiration date.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

"Sell" the car to avoid the back tax and wait till the NCT due date to avoid having to do it twice in a short time. The car will need to be trailered to the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Whats all this about doing 2 NCTs

Why in the name of god would U need 2 tests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭User1998

Because when you let your NCT lapse for too long it gets backdated, so you might do your NCT and only get a 1 month certificate etc

• Advertisement

That seems mad

Surely the test should be valid for the 12/24 months from date of test

Why would a car need to be tested twice in succession, what's the logic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If that was allowed you would have people dragging out a few months before presenting for a test.

They'd get 12/24 months from date of test and rinse and repeat the next time.

Ah yes

Didn't think of that scenario

Cos it makes no sense otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's down to poor enforcement (again) penalising the rest of the population.

The test is already a bit of a farce anyway as despite the advertising and legal requirement, all it says is that the car was OK on the day but I would agree with the idea that it should be valid for the full term afterwards (especially given the mess that is getting dates in reasonable times without again an exception of looking for cancellations).

We seem to love ruling by exception in this country. A few high profile idiots get done for stupid speeds on motorways, or one or two high profile accidents where speed may/may not have been the cause and there's blanket reductions on the way.

Pandering nonsense. Get the Gardai out doing more than camping on motorways and we might see improvements - whether it be to driving standards generally or NCT compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There doesn't seem to be much appetite for stricter enforcement on NCT so probably no change for the foreseeable.

As for AGS, there are quite a few "easy" roadside vehicle compliance checks that could be done.

Things like lights, tyres, number plates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely but the only focus is on speed, and then rarely on roads where they'd actually be needed in my experience.

Even today, passed a Go Safe van on the M8 between exit 4 and 5 earlier and an unmarked Tucson on the on-ramp at Fermoy. The first is a rarity. The latter fairly regular, but both on one of the quietest motorways we have.

Then they wonder why people are so resentful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's no delays with getting tests. I was looking recently and got an opinion for the next day with multiple slots available over the next few weeks in Deansgrange, lots of dates available in nearby centres also.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Last Tuesday AGS had set up a checkpoint in Fonthill, where they specifically looked at the discs. As everything is in date on my car I got waved through, so I don't know what their reaction would be about a slightly overdue NCT.

Deansgrange is indeed no issue. I booked a test end of March / beginning of April for mid-April, and yesterday I booked a re-test for mid-May. Plenty of earlier dates too but my car isn't repaired before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I would be reluctant to change ownership to somebody else and back to you to save on motor tax. It is difficult to insure an old car unless it has been in your name for a few years. Change it back to your name and technically you are insuring an old car that has only just been registered in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Cast iron logic of the people who own the franchise making extra millions every year for loads of unnecessary testing.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement