Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEO to AO HR

Options
  • 19-04-2024 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a HEO currently working in a small public service organisation. I work in customer service. I like my job and my manager is nice/good but I am rushed off my feet most days. I have said that I think we need more staff but it doesn't seem to be coming.

My job would be perfect if it were a little bit less busy and the HEO pay scales allowed me to buy a house in Dublin but we know how that is for everyone. There are no politics in my job and it is quite pleasant. I am somewhat ambitious however.

I applied for an AO position in the Civil Service and hope to be called for interview.

My questions are:

1. Is being an AO in the Civil Service a hectic role? Is there much pressure in it?
    2. Is it a 'good' role?
    3. If you were a HEO, would you move across to the AO scheme?
    4. Does anyone have any experience in HR in the Civil Service?

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ted222

A lot depends on the department within the CS you would be assigned to. Finance and Public Expenditure would probably have more going for them, particularly if you’re ambitious. The next grade up (Assistant Principal) would be paid at the higher scale - about 10% more than the standard.

In answer to your questions

1. Could be very busy depending on where you’re assigned. It’s a graduate entry level job though so it wouldn’t be assumed you’d have all the answers.
    2. It’s probably better than HEO. The interpretation would be that you’re a graduate on the up rather than a “lifer” who’s made to middle management. Though both are equally eligible to compete for promotion.
    3. It would normally be expected that HEOs would go for AP. AO would be seen as more of a lateral move. Long term it might be better though depending on where you’re assigned.
    4. I worked in HR so have seen it all. It depends which department you’re going into. Some are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭billyhead

Aos used to be considered a primarily policy based role and Heos management role. It's no longer the case and both grades are interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Thank you so much to you for your response.

Can I ask you please - how do you know that the AP role would be higher scales please? Aren't they standard and higher scale also?

Thank you once again.

Advertisement