Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outside Roderick O' Gormans home - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's been a growing trend since the crash to target politicians personally. A "play the man, not the ball" trend. It's not confined to the emerging far-right either - it's been an agenda happily driven by the hard-left here since 2009 onwards and the entirely-predictable consequences of that type of politics is the loons targetting politicans' homes that has been happening over the past 3-4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should never be protests outside someone's home.

I actually think ROG should have been sacked a long time a go for his 'Come one, come all, bread and board' tweet which was an undermining not just of the asylum process in this country and public confidence in it but, by extension, the security of the state. A completely reckless thing to do and he should have gone for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No matter who they are, no politician or their family should have to endure something like this. The fact that they're all wearing masks tells you all you need to know.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nobody should be protesting outside anyone's home. It's intimidation pure and simple.

And I include people who are being homed in direct provion centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We have public order laws to deal with sort of bullshít.

They (if they weren't) should have been ordered to move on and if they didn't every one of them should have been arrested.

It's not difficult, we don't need new legislation or laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean historically you've King Louis and Marie Antoinette, you've Tsar Nicholas, you've got Ceausescu and hundreds more. When the ruling classes get too distant and keep on pushing unpopular policies on to the working classes, you get issues.

Its not something new or something unusual. The years of it not happening are the unusual part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry but you need to be a little clear, on the way to the Dail could be any location. "Public events" could be him going to a friends event and nothing to do with work

TD is a job, plenty of ways to contact a TD, to protest against the government etc, go to their office.

Anyone who thinks that involves wearing a face mask is nothing but a total scumbag.

I had a few occasions I had to contact a TD, not very many, every time I received a response, usual from the TD staff but 1-2 times from the TD. They will junk the abusive emails and these days more email systems will remove the abusive ones automatically. Which is 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did I miss the invitation? Could you share a copy of it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We all know the far right hate O'Gorman. The National Party displayed pictures of Nooses 4 years ago during their Dail intimidation against O'Gorman. This latest initimidation is part of ongoing far right intimidation of O'Gorman for 4 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The big turning point of course was the waste of space that is Paul Murphy and the attack on Joan Burton. When people see a TD doing this and then getting away with it they think they can do the same. Plus push the barriers to see what they can get away with.

His actions that day set off repercussions which all TD's are feeling the brunt of today and even himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Hungry Burger

I don’t agree with protesting outside someone’s house, we’re lucky in Ireland we have access to politicians. I couldn’t see something similar happening in America for example.

With that being said, looks a fine sized house. Wonder how many Asylum Seekers he’s putting up there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭TokTik

There was no damage done that I can see reported. No arrests reported and Gardai were on the scene so it seems to have been a peaceful protest. Don’t see any issue with it.

He's a democratically elected TD and Minister unlike the thugs outside his house and unlike your good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It was widely reported. The invitation was translated into eight languages, and sent around the world.

It included a promise of "own-door" accomm within four months of arrival.

He actively encouraged illegal immigrants to come here, at large cost to taxpayers.

People earning below median wages face a 48.5% marginal income tax rate to pay for illegal immigrants.

No wonder there are protests again bogus AS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭TokTik

What laws have they broken to elicit such a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Comparing absolute monarchs and totalitarian dictators to democratically elected members of a collective cabinet isn't the huge win you seem to think it is.

Have a look at the responses to anything he says on social media and you'll find plenty of homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The working class tend to take the gloves off a bit more than liked.

Even though he is doing it for his own benefit on the beat down backs of countless others, protesting at a home is always a losing proposition, the why, where or who aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Anyone can run for public office and change the agenda, countries that have revolutions aren't generally because of not liking the general policies. You live in an incredibly free country in contrast to the historical cases you're referencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Love some of the posts here.

To summarize some of them

"Masked individuals protesting outside his house has no place in our society, but if he didn't go and do x, y and z then people would have no need for these people to turn up"

So in other words, it's his own fault.

• Advertisement

I would love you to go down and ask any of the hard men wearing masks outside of ROG house if they are trying to copy the revolutions of King Louis and Tsar Nicholas.

I think the reaction you would get would be priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

I’m going to play devils advocate here about protesting outside a politicians house.

But why should peaceful protests not be held outside a politician’s home?

A protest at the Dail / Government Buildings or their constituency office can be easily avoided by the politicians.

If your a Government Minister and your making far reaching decisions that are effecting communities and or people outside of your constituency (meaning that the effected people can’t voice their opinion of you at the ballot box) people are entitled to show their dissatisfaction with you.

Politicians lie and make promises during their election campaign, which they often don’t fulfil yet somehow it’s deemed inappropriate to protest outside their home. If you lived out in the west of Ireland with an ill child who relies on their medical card and some politician on a 6 figure salary, living in a leafy suburb in Dublin decides to take that away from you a protest outside their home is fair game IMO.

TD is a job.

Turning up in face masks is not peaceful. No matter how anyone wants to jump around making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭RoboRat

How do they get the time off from work to protest…

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well to extend the Devils Advocation.

There should be no line drawn if that was the case and should not stop at a politician.

If you have done me some sort of ill will or even if I have imagined you have, I should be entitled to show up outside your house with 10 guys in masks and have with.

Intimidate you, your family and your neighbours 12 hours a day every day if I wish.

Would you agree with that?

Ok then, Indira Gandhi, Yitzhak Rabin, Park Chung Hee. There are lots of examples of a ruler or government becoming out of touch with the public and suffering as a result. Those all ended up going to death of course which I'm sure everyone doesn't want to see in Ireland but when you see democracy failing (and I believe it's failing as we've no actual choice here). You go to vote this year or next and you've no real choice as their policies are all the same. It's just which one you think will fcuk you less and even then it still could be FFG when they start coming together.

Can you share the wording of the communication you're referring to please?

Well yes, they're all idiots. It's why they're not actually much of a danger. If they had something smart running things , things might actually get dangerous

• Advertisement

You're okay presumably if your disgruntled customers or colleagues show up masked at your house to discuss your failings?

Advertisement