Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT on car from dealer

Options
  • 19-04-2024 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

Just looking for an opinion buying a car from dealer but not sold with NCT.

It's a reputable main dealer with great reviews and feedback. The car is a UK import and has been through a VRT. It's ready for collection but they are looking for me to sort out the NCT. And if any issues, they will sort it. I trust that there would be no issues in that case going by reviews. But I didn't expect the hassle of sorting out the NCT to fall on me for a car north of 45k.

The reason given is that it could take them months to do it due to NCT backlog. But I could get it done quicker if I call up. This doesn't sound right at all. Should I be holding firm and insisting on NCT when handing over? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

They can get an NCT within a couple of weeks and they know that. But so can you. It just depends how soon you want the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wouldn’t to be honest - depending on the car maybe it’s in demand or something but really, they’ll get an appointment quicker than you will - whilst all might be fine, do you really want the hastle of doing that then potentially failing and having to deal with an uncooperative garage no less being without your car?
    Wait for the NCT to be done or just walk away -

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Alexus25

One of my rules is don't buy a car without nct, could be riddled with problems, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭goochy

tell them you will collect it when its passed nct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I booked my NCT yesterday and there are plenty of NCT appointments available for next week on the portal so their excuse does not hold water. I wouldn't be very confident in their promise to fix everything wrong either as I imagine they would fix just the bare minimum to get it back through and then leave you with the remainder. If I was in the market and spending €45k, I would expect the car to come with the NCT already done.

My instinct on this one is to walk away or insist it is done (tell them you are willing to wait).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Not sure what part of the country your in but there are no majors backlogs in Cork at all you would easily get a test within a week or two.

This would raise a red flag to me straight away I would purchase only on the car coming with a NCT for that kind of money.

Had a similiar thing years ago dealer wanted me to NCT car myself, car was coming with full warranty and assured it it was bumper to bumper i.e. included everything.

Pushed to see a copy of the warranty card it had more exclsuions than I could even count even on large items like DPF & gearbox.

If I had purchased the car without NCT and it failed the NCT on something on the exclsuion list then this would have left me in a sticky situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Good advice. Thanks all.

I'm going to insist on collecting after NCT. Wasn't even thinking of an exclusion list in regards to the warranty. Was more so thinking about it failing and having to use my time to bring it to their garage to fix. Which would require me taking time off work at my own expense.

They're not refusing to do it. Just more like trying to pawn it off on me. So if they say they'll sort the NCT without any further excuses. I'll proceed with the purchase. If not, I'll walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just sounds like laziness on the dealer's part to me. They send cars to the NCT almost every day so you can bet they get short notice cancelled slots or squeezed in between appointments all the time. Many dealers just park the cars at the NCT centre and let them there until they are tested. Remember that car dealers are the NCT's best customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Their excuse is rubbish, they could get that done far faster than you unless they have had a falling out with their local lads! I know here garages often get last minute calls when there is a cancelled appointment, they have contacts in the centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

It might just be something to do with having a registered owners name for the cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭goochy

Not important

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The NCT delays are long gone, as others have said plenty of slots available on the website. Even if it has an NCT I'd still get a mechanic to check over the car, the NCT is only a basic check. It's always easier to anything fixed before you hand over the money, once you pay you aren't a priority.

Has it even got an MOT as that can be transferred to an NCT.

With the NCT backlog gone you won't be insured if the car doesn't have a valid NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

That's not correct on insurance

Some require a valid nct some don't

At a minimum they require car is roadworthy but don't always require nct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭User1998

Also incorrect on the transferrable MOT.. that ended years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭delboythedub

Time to move on and purchase a car with a valid nct

Yad be stone mad walking away with no NCT after paying 45k

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭JVince

45k for a 4 year old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The nct told me they won't give priority to the trade so maybe that's their reasoning. I just leave a car at the nct centre with no appointment and they'll test it. I wouldn't be taking the car without an nct

Id say there has to be a lot of cash changing hands in return for priority tests and being lenient on stuff like rust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Plenty of 4 year old cars for 45k and well above it too. I would wait for the nct also if I was buying.

I probably wouldn’t spend €45k on a car without an NCT, but that said I wouldn’t hold too much stock in the NCT as a point of reliability either.

My previous two cars one had no NCT due to the delays and never had any major problems but the one that passed twice in 6 months (due to the backlog it only got a 6 month cert on the first go) was rife with issues. Had it for 4 months and barely a day of peace with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

young lad bought a car from a dealer in February, nct is up in June, car came with 1 year warranty, they actually mentioned that the nct was up in June & they would cover any issues that arose as part of the sale deal, I’m assuming you’ve a warranty with it, ask for any nct issues to be covered as part of the sale / warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Sorry just reread your post, so similar to my lads case, if you have a warranty anyway, what’s the issue other than maybe a slight inconvenience?, agree it’s a bit lazy on dealers side though,

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

"The reason given is that it could take them months to do it due to NCT
    backlog. But I could get it done quicker if I call up. This doesn't
    sound right at all. Should I be holding firm and insisting on NCT when
    handing over?"

This is not right. It wouldn't take them months, there is no NCT backlog and they know that being in the trade. It may be a very nice car in the showroom, but there will be others with NCT's along soon. Too much hard earned cash to play games with.

Ya could end up messing about for months with retests if they drag their feet on an issue like emissions or something

Worst case scenario after paying 45k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a lot easier to get a dealer to fix issues such as NCT failures before you pay for the car than afterwards. 45k even in today's world, is alot of money. For that sort of money the car should have a fresh NCT if needed, driving off the forecourt. If the dealer is lazy about the NCT then imagine how lazy the may be coming back to them to sort things if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't legally drive a car on the road without an NCT if it requires one, with a few limited exemptions. A car that can't legally be on the road isn't road worthy.

Having an NCT doesn't remove the requirement to keep the car in a road worthy condition.

Maybe take some time to think about your posts here and on the other thread

A car that can't legally be on the road can indeed be roadworthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

there is of course the slight fact that it is illegal to drive the car without an NCt. There is no backlog now and I would not rely on a Garda exercising discretion.

Advertisement