Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY very bad crash at Carrs hill - main road from Cork City to Carrigaline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

What makes me mad audi driver walked away. It innocent driver I'm red car crush under container is bad way

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Aint seen any video, and don't want to, but just reading this thread makes you realise what caused this crash.

A woman probably seriously injured, perhaps life changing injuries, all to look at a phone. Think folks, is your life or the life of those in the car with you worth a look at Insta, Facebook, Twitter?

But of course had this been a fatality, it would have been "fly high with the angels" crap all over social media.

Put the phone down and watch the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭JVince

Important to note.

The truck driver did nothing wrong whatsoever and did his absolute best to avoid collision.

The car where the person is very seriously injured did nothing wrong either. A knock result of the primary crash.

The ENTIRE blame is the person driving the car that veered off the lane and drove into the lane that the truck was driving in on the opposite side and looks near certain that they were on a phone texting.

Hopefully the gardai have the footage and it is admissible in court and that driver will never ever drive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I'm afraid the jury is soon going to be out on that! Conor Faughnan was only talking to Pat Kenny about digital screens on the dash of cars this week. Those screens where you have to take your eyes off the road to put on a de-mister, or fog lights, climate control, are surely a hazard, at the very least they are a distraction. My sister just bought a Japanese car and there isn't one knob or button, its all touch screen, even to turn on the lights.

I bought my 2nd Dacia Duster last year and am thrilled at how much is still manual on it (2019). I don't want more tech in my car. The main aim when driving is to keep your eyes on the road surely. But phones are an even bigger distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

If we want behaviour to change I think we need to see crash scenes and crash videos (obviously I don't mean including people or including impact) but our accident rate here is appalling and if we want to shock people into changing behaviour they need to see the impact.

I have to say those road safety ads a few years ago of the driver texting with a child in the back and veering across the road ending up in someone's garden was absolutely shocking …..but I thought of it a lot when I was ever tempted to look at my phone in the car. We need shock tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭aidanodr

( sorry if i pick you up wrong @NIMAN ) .. You seem to imply the injured woman was looking at her phone & was the INITIAL person to veer across whiteline hitting the truck, all captured on dashcam?

I dont think thats the case. I think her car had the truck topple onto it after that first incident and further along the road toward carrigaline

A general Q. Should it be now mandatory that all cars have dashcams? And recording all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

Definitely I agree some pictures I seen are disgusting firefighters on car crane Lifting container off it someone taking pictures within Inches of it

As I said, haven't seen video. I only went on a post here which said the car veered over the white line. I assumed this was her car.

Maybe I picked the description of the incident up wrong? So are you saying the truck was the cause of it?

For the record - both a trauma doc and a Cork Firebrigade officer on Red FM last half hour mentioned DISTRACTION is a large contributary factor in accidents now. And both mentioned mobile phones and likes of infotainment screens etc in modern cars.

Also a cabbie just on Red said he is finding the taxi apps a distraction as he looks away, seemed to imply they are displayed on the infotainment unit which can have apps installed I think + can have the screen of your phone on them?

You said "I've a large info screen in the car. It is not in any way distracting whatsoever." .. good for you, but thats your opinion and experience only

You said "It does give me details of any traffic delays ahead and I can adjust my driving as I approach the delay." - do you look away from the road at the screen to get this traffic detail, even for a second?

You said "But there is zero proof that it is in any way a contribution to accidents" - see below

Research conducted in the UK by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) on behalf of road safety charity IAM Roadsmart found that drivers using Android Auto and Apple Carplay systems take their eyes off the road for long stretches of time when completing tasks and as a result controlling the car’s lane position and maintaining a consistent speed suffered significantly.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a42384978/infotainment-screens-make-distracted-drivers-swedish-study-finds/

@NIMAN No, the truck was not the cause of the accident, it was involved due to:

Incident 1 - appears to be a car travelling toward cork city veered accross the white line hitting the sides of the truck that was passing opposite way toward carrigaline. This is the incident caught on the dash cam of person driving toward cork city behind the veering car which came to a stand still further along.

Incident 2 - it appears the truck continued on past the dash cam car toward carrigaline and few secs later toppled across the road on top of that poor womans car

All the above is mentioned on RED FM News just there at 10am

• Advertisement

So the car caught veering over the white line on the dashcam footage, which caused the truck to take evasive action, actually was undamaged?

If so, I hope this person is done for dangerous driving.

Just shows you how you could be killed cos some idiot up ahead is on TikTok.

@NIMAN It was very damaged

As i mentioned earlier - I am of the thought dash cams should be mandatory and on in all cars if possible. Or at least an insurance reduction if one fitted.

I see the guards are looking for other dashcam vids probably of the rest of the incident further back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭yagan

I believe car makers are under pressure to return more physical buttons so that there's less fiddling with touch screens, but from what I see everday the main culprit is people handling their phones whilst driving, and honestly it seems to be twice as many women with kids in the car too.

I applaud multitasking, but there's a limit.

Agree - its most likely more on the phones BUT as per links above on my previous post on this ( #40 ) it appears there is a whole question about any distraction including non static screens etc which pull your gaze toward them and away from the road ahead of you. All it takes is a second as evidenced by the initial veer car in this accident yesterday. My wife has a newish car with big infotainment screen - it is a distraction, for me anyway. Its also temptation, one would want to be fair disciplined for it not to catch the eye while you drive or be tempted to touch it .. all taking your eyes off the road even for a sec and thats all it takes.

Of course HUDs are a thing now also in the glass of the front window ahead of the driver. Surely a distraction also

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

I believe it was also shown that hands-free phones distract

They really need to clamp down on phone use

We were car shopping last year and were put of by a lot of cars because the basic things like climate control and radio volume had to be accessed by selecting from a touchscreen menu. We ended up choosing an older car that had buttons for climate control, although we're still stuck having to use a touch screen to switch radio stations.

Pre set buttons were much safer.

I believe the reason bar makers went all in on big screens as it was a cheaper option than the installation of physical buttons. A quick google just now shows me NCAP will be demanding more physical buttons for the highest safety ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭timmyntc

+1000 this, the touchscreen trend is all about saving money. A touchscreen is far cheaper than making robust physical buttons and designing a console that fits them all. Manufacturers try to sell it as a fancy new feature when in actual fact you are getting less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

Fully agree with your point regarding dashcams in cars . It should be mandatory but the Insurance Industry are VEHEMENTLY against it across all jurisdictions because of the legal and cost implications.
    I watched that video just now on twitter and it’s appalling, that “Audi” veers into the path of the truck driver, the truck driver reacts in a millisecond and pulls to his left avoiding a head on and we know unfortunately what transpires after.
    I have a dashcam myself for years, I wouldn’t consider driving a car without it.
    I see incidents like this every day on the road as both a motorist and as a cyclist,

Jesus, cycling has gone so dangerous, I peddle weekends and summertime evenings solo and with maybe 2 or 3 clubmates.
    EVERY spin has some noteworthy incidents/interaction with motorists, at this stage Id nearly say 90% of them are people looking down on their phones.

There’s absolutely no enforcement of the rules, Gardai are nowhere to be seen , unfortunately the number of people being killed and maimed on our roads is only going one way.

Post edited by moby2101 on

What gets me about cars is that they're not treated in the same way as industrial machinery, even though they can be lethal in the most basic conditions, like reversing over a child in a busy car park.

There has to be serious legal consequences for drivers who allow themselves to be easily distracted.

The amount of tailgating, sudden lane changing and non indicator use out there has gotten out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

I have seen the dashcam clip. It's frightening how someone's life can be changed in an instant, through no fault of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrRigsby

For what reason ? Would you rather put your head in the sand ? If you don’t agree with discussion of an accident why are you on a discussion board which clearly states it’s about a specific accident? Have you seen the video? I offered my view of what happened based on 20 plus years experience driving HGVs . What’s your opinion based on exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Has it been confirmed officially that the driver of the audi was using a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,120 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope the injured innocent lady pulls through and the main culprit accident starter is banned for life from driving, bans need to be stricter, total bans for dangerous driving, drunk, drugs, phone use (just pull in where possible to answer or use) etc., imho

That area Carr's Hill seems to be notorious for accidents as nearly day on traffic news delays over accidents

@JP Liz V1 That area Carr's Hill seems to be notorious for accidents as nearly day on traffic news delays over accidents

Yip, i live in carrigaline. I avoid that road if i can. Use back routes around airport etc. Its a very busy road. And its THE main road to/from CORK CITY to / from Ringaskiddy ( New Cork Docks ), as well as Carrigaline etc, its also a crazy narrow country road still ( see pic below ). Just about enough room for an Artic on one side and a car or truck on the other. Very close quarters with no room for maneauvre

They finally are building a motorway but will not be ready until at least 2030. It got seriously held up over the years with planning objections etc. They have been talking about that motorway to replace that carrs hill country road since we moved down here in 1997. ( Carrigaline has two ministers for years - Michael McGrath and Simon Coveney )

Carrigaline was 3 or 4000 or less back then as a village, now its pretty much 20,000 pop ( then add crosshaven etc ). A commuter / Mortgage town for the city

Carrs hill screenshot from Google maps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'd rather this driver was also seriously injured or killed? What the hell is wrong with you?

The point is that a health issue can be ruled out for why the Audi was totally unaffected.

Strokes and health attacks have been responsible for fatal crashes, but in this instance the driver crossed over causing a crash.

Knowing what we know about modern distractions what other reason could it be? Swerving to avoid a badger?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Talk about completely missing the point!

Seriously, what's wrong with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Not ALSO, but INSTEAD.

Maybe they had a stroke, heart attack, or diabatic coma - but that is incredibly unlikely. What is much more likely, but not proven of course, is that they became distracted, and now someone innocent is seriously injured.

Have you ever had a debilitating injury? I have, it was temporary, and much milder than most it has to be said, and it was awful. Someone now has to live with much worse, and the driver who caused it will probably get off with a few points after sob story about why they need their car for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

We really should wait until the cause of the accident is known.

If it was phone use, then of course the book should be thrown at the driver of the audi.

Right now, we don't have that information.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

And we probably never will know I believe they should make the cause of accidents known especially if phone use caused them

Advertisement