Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing aid and Audiologist

Options
  • 18-04-2024 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi

quick question for you all. How important is the audiologist when buying hearing aids?

I mean if you have the same brand hearing aid can the audiologist that programs/tests/fits them make a significant difference?

Reason for question, a relative got hearing aids from a particular audiologist and they seemed to work great for the first few months/year, but have gradually gotten worse and worse, but no matter how much they go back to audiologist they dont do anything, they just check them and change the filters.

There is another place in the same town and they are thinking of just buying a new pair from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 McDougal2

Hi, Could their hearing be getting worse as the years roll on? A lot of aids need the wax cleared from the auditory channel. A hearing test will be a benefit to your friend, at least they will know if their hearing is getting worse. I have had several aids and they vary by a vast amount in so far as the new one can filter out a lot of the background noise like the wind and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Modern hearing aids are sophisticated devices…

They need a really clued in audiologist to get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Its not the hearing deteriorating afaik. They have an old pair that aren't supported anymore, and when they go back to those they can hear much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I have € in ear monitors that came with screw in filters for bass,treble blah blah blah.

They do get blocked with wax n stuff

Sound went in one and I replaced the filter and sound was back.

If its unsupported perhaps some forum might have a suggestion on how to claen them.

Some people use diluted IPA

Advertisement