Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the most useful app on your phone?

Options
  • 17-04-2024 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Apart from calls and messaging. What is the most useful app on your phone and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭yagan

Any weather app with a decent rainfall radar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

revolut. I can’t believe mainstream banks haven’t pulled the finger out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Stellarium - for when I need to find Jupiter in a hurry.

Easily the best app on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,821 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Instagram …. love photography and the version of that app now is excellent.

Tiktok… don’t upload stuff but it’s good for a laugh / entertainment and killing about 30 minutes a day scrolling etc…

Guitar tuner…. Don’t have to go searching for tuners and buying batteries for tuners. They eat batteries…app is super accurate too… my ear just isn’t.

Spotify… for tunes 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like my Google wallet for my cards.

However it would have to be TikTok(I know). I mainly see stuff I enjoy, music, comedy, bit of TV programs from past and present, the odd cooking video, Nostalgia Videos. It's all stuff I enjoy and no current affairs, negativity, etc.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Google Maps, although sometimes I like to switch it up a bit and remind myself how awful Apple Maps is by comparison, just for the craic, then back to Google.

Reason? I’d be lost without it 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ultimate guitar for when I want guitar tabs to songs I'm not able to play

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Waze. It has saved me countless times on the road. Not just for penalty points. But also standstill traffic that has come out of nowhere and random objects on the road or roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Google translate - brilliant for travelling - does voice, text and photos of text .. eg menu's

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

im going to give this one a go. Never heard of it before. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Don't use my phone much. But find myself sometimes using some hiking apps like AllTrails and Komoot and a couple of others for finding places to go alone or with the kids that I might not otherwise have discovered. Especially when outside Ireland or in parts of Ireland I do not normally go.

Other than that I generally just use apps for tracking my running or to listen to podcasts while I am running. So Strava and Spotify mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Living in the west of Ireland, I had to turn off the predictive weather notifications on my iPhone. I used to get about 20 of these a day:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Strava - Use it so much, that I'm happy to pay €60 a year for the Premium version, despite barely using these features

X - Amazing for following sports and breaking news

Spotify - Use it in the car, when working, and when out walking

Google Maps - use it for travelling, planning, general nosey-ness

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I only heard of it recently when folk were discussing boycotting Israeli goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Pushbullet is a great app for instantly sending photos, videos, music, screenshots, links etc. from desktop to mobile, and vice versa. The free version is limited to 100 messages a month which is more than enough, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Radio Garden. Tune in to any radio station in the world. No need to suffer the crap on Irish radio. It's available on desktop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LiveScore to keep me up to date with what's happening in the football and to watch the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The only app I pay for is Strava, so I can see how crap my athletic abilities are! But the most useful one has got to be Google maps.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Live guide , comprehensive sports guide

Maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

It's the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

The RTE player app is useful for me as it allows me to cast to the TV, my Northern Ireland TV won't allow me to download the RTE app. When I search for it there is no sign of it, although the TG4 app works. Also it allows you to watch things in HD as we don't have access to RTE HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Tidal - high quality audio for music

Duolingo

Borrowbox for free ebooks and audiobooks

Local library app for reservations etc

ChatGPT

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Waze

MyFitnessPal

GuitarTuna

Revolut

Audible

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A lot of the above, but I'd also like to add Shazam, and BirdNET (like Shazam but for birds).

Oh, and Transit for busses (on Android for me). WAY better than the TFI app, and is international and multi-modal AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sheedy234

GOOGLE MAPS best thing invented 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Android Digital Wellbeing app, can put daily time limits on apps and websites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I just wish that businesses would keep their opening hours updated on it! But yes, an amazing piece of tech. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

City Mapper- not perfect but amazing given it’s free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement