Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New safety camera's generating automatic fines for driving in bus lanes.

Options
  • 17-04-2024 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

A lot of bikers feel safer in bus lanes and most of the guards don't seem to object but I doubt if an automatically generated fine system for vehicles photographed in bus lanes will be particularly sympathetic towards bikers.

Being trialed quite shortly in Dublin and Cork apparently.

Watch out for the new cameras lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I really must get around to fixing the loose bolt holding my tax disc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Are you sure they face the rear of the vehicle? Usually cameras face the front of a vehicle to capture an image of the face of the driver as evidence, as well as reducing the risk of the driver avoiding being caught by changing behaviour after passing the camera they've just seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

ID doesn’t really matter - if it goes to court the Gardai are only interested in prosecuting the registered owner of the vehicle, if they can’t identify the actual driver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Are you sure about that? I think they'd have to at least make an effort to identify the driver to ensure penalty points are applied correctly. This is the case with mobile speed cameras, what leads you to believe there'll be a different approach with bus lane enforcement cameras?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For speeding, the notification is sent to the registered owner. They have the option of admitting to the offence and accepting fine and points, disputing it and going to court or nominating another driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I got that in the UK, speeding ticket went to the registered address of the bike and it got passed onto me. The variable motorway speed limit caught me!

With these enforcement cameras, I can see a huge protest from the courier riders in particular if they are told to keep out of the bus lane! Absolutely stupid to tell Motorbikes and mopeds that they can no longer use the lane when they don't even block it up, were up the front and gone in seconds before the bus has even released their brake!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

I thought this might be a problem. Common sense will go out the window once automation comes in. What's MAG Ireland (or whoever is the current biker rep group) saying about it?

High time motorcycle access to bus lanes was regularised. Or do they want us all driving cars instead?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

High time motorcycle access to bus lanes was regularised.

Given the law would need to change to enable it, has any attempt been made by MAG or any other lobby group to our politicians for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Given that the latest news item at https://www.magireland.org/news/ is for their 2019 AGM I doubt MAG Ireland is interested or indeed still in existence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah, their facebork page is gone. And their Twitter page is inactive since 2020.

• Advertisement

MAG had it as a policy for years and it's never got anywhere.

Considering the legislation to make escooters and bicycles which can do <25km/h without pedalling legal was approved in 2023 and still not enacted there's feck all chance that the opening of bus lanes to motorbikes will happen, the Irish government don't like motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭gipi

For info, MAG are now called the Irish Motorcycle Association.

Link to their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/motorcycling.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

I highly doubt they will have cameras on both directions, i.e it will only be a front facing camera so won't be able to read a bike reg anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's all about bicycles now, I doubt motorcycles would be allowed to use them officially. But i reckon the powers that be will will happily let it slide with forward facing cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anti car fanatic here but I've had a motorbike in the past and they 100% should be allowed in bus lanes as they don't slow buses down or cause congestion. I actually thought they were allowed in bus lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Between this and the ongoing 'reconfiguration' of many urban roads to make lanes narrower, etc, we are literally being squeezed off the roads

And the authorities are very happy to see that happen. Fewer motorcyclists the better as far as they're concerned.

There's absolutely no point commuting by motorcycle if you can't filter or use a bus lane.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Maybe it's because I'm German, but when I filter through traffic, briefly use a bus lane and other "creative" interpretations of the rules of the road and I get done for it, I have to put my hands up and say "fair enough".

Even if I thought "but it should be different, this isn't right", but it is the way it is and that's currently the way it is.

I would never think "I should be able to break the rules because it suits me".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The rules are stupid. Filtering is legal BTW but narrowing traffic lanes to make space for bicycle lanes, and wider cars, are making it increasingly difficult.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did Garda Bikesafe a few years ago and was told to ride in the bus lane, in fact on the assessment ride you will be marked down for not using it. The caveat was don't speed in it and use it cautiously. A wee while back I was in the buslane and there was a Garda pulling cars for using it, I got a nod and a wave.

My only issues are when I'm in the car then subsequently forget I'm in the car and use the friggin buslane which I have done a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Im sure the system can filter out bike number plates from the rest of traffic if needed.

• Advertisement

It won't be needed as the camera will be enforcing the law. The law needs to be changed.

Advertisement