Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought 2nd hand car with 4 different tyres

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'd check everything that the garage recommends to be replaced, my OH gets her Toyota serviced with the local Main Dealer, they send an email of things that need doing after they carry out the basic service, that includes the dept of thread left on each tyre, on one occasion they recommended the two rear Firestone tyres be replaced , even though the car had 4 Goodyear tyres on it, another time one of the rear shocks was supposed to be worn, it's still there and has been fine for the two services since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Got 3 Triangles on at the moment and 1 Michelin remaining on the rear passenger side. Car keeps wanting to spin clockwise because of the extra quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭chrisd2019

Save yourself the hassle and money by forgetting about a solicitor, the opportunity to complain is long gone, you needed to check the car before you collected it. No one trusts a car sales garage so much that they now look over the vehicle at collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

How would you prove they were the same tyres as when you bought the car eight months ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its a sad but accurate reflection on the car trade and main dealers that they can't be bothered to put matching tyres on an axle.

Also another failing of govt that is is not a legal requirement to have matching tyres in Ireland. Or decent tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Duffycon

Well we can’t all be as knowledgable as you can we! I thought this forum was about discussion and not about making people feel stupid for posting a genuine concern. Your comment is more a reflection on you than it is on me. I pity your loved ones when they come you you for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If you're going to reply to somebody, please quote them so we know who it is you're replying to.

will do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Don't ask such stupid questions then. Your question is more a reflection on you than the other poster.

For some reason you feel angry over something you admittedly don't have a clue about and start threatening legal action..

There was most likely nothing wrong with any of your tyres and you have just been done out of 600 quid.

Tyres do not have to match and on a regular car will make absolutely no difference to the performance of the car once they are not cheap tyres.

I would prefer a dealer selling me a car with 4 different decent brands of tyres on it than 4 matching Chinese tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This is why the experts always make sure to give all the tyres a good kick before buying a car.

You think you have it bad OP, I once got a car where the dealer had put the tyres on backwards. So I had to put the car into reverse to drive it forward until I swapped them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

HiDuffycon, ignore the negative posts and shite talk.

You should be able to ask questions that others think are obvious. Just maybe don't jump straight to calling in the solicitors. If you reframed your post to say, I am.a newbie, need some advice, tyres etc etc. You would prob get less dicky posts.

The internet is vicious! Don't read too much into what gets posted here.

But YouTube should be your first stop, it's fairly simple to check tyres out

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

What the sweet jesus?!?!.

Who knows how to check tyres? I would hope most adults do. It's hardly a complicated act.

Why you felt the need to change them just because the didn't match is beyond me, sounds Like you should have bought the low pressure insurance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

goose81- Thought this forum was for asking questions good and bad! I don’t know cars or tyres any more than I know about plumbing. What’s wrong with asking a genuine question and why are you shouting me down?

Thanks Atami. Much appreciated

Because you were talking about legal action.

It wasn't a question you asked really, you were looking for validation from a forum to engage a solicitor against a dealer and you disguised it as a question.

dobman88- sorry I woke you from your sleep sweetheart!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Are you a dealer? Why so angry with simple innocent/nieve question's? Did you sell him the car?

From the RSI.

"…Do all four tyres have to be the same?No. However, under testing laws, a vehicle will fail if the two tyres on the one axle are not the same size or type e.g., radial vs. cross-ply, run-flat, winter or summer. For best performance, the same type of tyre should be fitted on all four wheels positions…"

From Michelin

…Can you put tyres of different brands, treads, depths or seasons on the same axle? 

This is generally prohibited by law.  

On the same axle, tyres should even be of the same model. However, there is a tolerance if the use is temporary. For example, if you have a puncture and are driving with your spare wheel. In this case, you should go to a professional as soon as possible to have the tyre replaced. 

Why is it forbidden?

If the circumference on the left and right is not the same, there will be a difference in rotation speed and the sensor, interpreting that a tyre is under-inflated, will send a warning. In addition, this can cause the vehicle to pull to one side of the road or have a different response on wet roads depending on whether you turn left or right. 

goose81- I could have phrased it differently - fine but a lot of answers here could have been phrased differently too

• Advertisement

No, I am not.

It wasn't a nieve question , it was someone about to try and take legal action without realising their own ignorance and stupidity and trying to seek validation in what they were about to do.

If it had just been a question no harm done but it wasn't just a question.

Im not angry, I just don't like dick heads

Thanks Flinty. Much appreciated

Personally I think there's a world of difference between budget tires and good performing tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hopefully the solicitor isn't on the clock at this hour.

Mad how your 1st thought was solicitor instead of some personal responsibility. Compo culture alive and well.

What tyres have now been fitted to your car? The new ones.

The brand of tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭AUDI20

You don't need to be a mechanic to check the condition of your tyres, that responsability is with the owner, the same as Tax and insurance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 627 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

alright I think the OP has got their answer. OP if you want me to reopen this DM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement