Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and Skills Fairs 2024 - Obligatory or not?

Options
  • 17-04-2024 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I got an email inviting me to one of these:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/78085-work-and-skills-fairs-2024/

I was told to bring my Public Services Card and advised "A qualifying condition for Jobseekers Allowance and Jobseekers benefit is that the recipient must be available for full-time work and be genuinely seeking work."

The email does not explicitly say i MUST attend. And I did not get any letter about this.

Does anyone know if it is obligatory to attend this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I don’t know for certain but when you arrive they take your name so I presume that’s for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

What was your experience like? Was there a follow-up from the DSP after the event?

I didn't attend as a jobseeker, I was there because the company I used to work for was often looking for staff and that was one way of getting them. Someone else may know for definite if there's a follow up or not but I attended a good few of them over the past 15 years or so and they registered everyone who attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They are not obligatory but I am curious why they are instructing anyone to bring a PSC card to a Jobs fare. These events are privately organised with recruitment agencies & companies in attendance, they've no business looking at your PSC

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The fairs are organised by Intreo/Social Welfare and companies/agencies are invited by Intreo to attend. The people that I saw registering attendees were Intreo Staff ( I knew some of them personally) so maybe they have the authority to ask for Card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I still see absolutely no reason why a participant is required to bring their PSC, Seems rather odd

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have not got any notification on MyGovID.ie or any letter in the post about it. Just an email. The email goes something like this:

Dear Customer,

You are invited to our Work and Skills Recruitment and Training Fair.

Our Work and Skills Recruitment and Training Fair provides you with the opportunity to.

• Explore current job vacancies

• Meet with local employers

• Apply for jobs

• Learn more about the training opportunities available to you

Please confirm your attendance on Eventbrite.ie or through this link (LINK).

Please make sure to bring your Public Services Card (PSC) with you to this event.

Please note: A qualifying condition for Jobseeker’s Allowance and Jobseeker’s Benefit is that the recipient must be available for full-time work and be genuinely seeking work.

We look forward to meeting with you.

The email address it came from is a welfare.ie email address.

I have an errand on the specific day its on. So i want to know if its absolutely necessary to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Email doesn't say that attendance in mandatory, so I guess it's not mandatory. I'd also guess it may just raise other questions about whether you are actually looking for work, so be prepared for those questions.

• Advertisement

What exactly happens at these fairs? Are presentations given in front of a slide show projection screen? Or are there just stands and jobseekers walk from stand to stand to see what interests them? Do the Intreo staff accompany the jobseekers from stand to stand or are the jobseekers left on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cactusmania

I've got a few of these letters over time, never been to any of them and nothing ever happened, so don't worry. They're not mandatory anyway. In a strange way, people who show their card at these events are essentially encouraging the DSP to hassle them going forward in terms of what happened, did you follow up with the employer etc. Meanwhile, those who do the bare minimum get just as much thanks.

Just stands, each company has one and jobseekers do the rounds. I've not seen a slideshow but it's been a couple of years since I attended one so may have changed since.

Advertisement