Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a house from a distant location

Options
  • 17-04-2024 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am looking to buy a property in Dublin area but I am currently based in Kerry.

There are houses in Daft.ie that look nice but how can someone buy without viewing the property first. Certainly for the right house I could drive and view it but I guess one needs to view different houses before buying one. Living so far away does not make it any easy to view different houses.

Anyone faced this situation before or any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically need to treat it like your own A Place In The Country/Sun episode - maybe without the random 'cultural' bit in the middle or the need to make a dramatic phone call from a pub to put any bids in.

Basically, you stay in a hotel or airbnb for the cheap end of the week (mon-wed/thurs) and go on a viewing spree.

If there's somewhere you want a second viewing of from early on in the trip you might be able to arrange another by the end.

You can also go back to any specific areas to see what they're like at different times of day/night - e.g. somewhere that seems peaceful at an 11am viewing could be horrendous during rush hour or have every skulking teenager in the town congregating at the corner of the garden at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

try living 4000 miles away and buying a property in Dublin. You can get into the car, drive and be there in 3 hours. Make a day trip.

You look at houses, see which area you want, see which house you like and phone the agent for a viewing, it’s not that difficult. Always do a satellite view and see what’s around.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know a couple who currently live in Kerry and are self building a house in Donegal. That's a lot further than Dublin yet they are managing fine. As stated above you can either drive to Dublin a few times or book in somewhere for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dublin area? That could mean Dublin City, Dublin City and County or Greater Dublin to include some or all of Kildare, Wicklow, Meath and Louth. You need to narrow your focus to specific locations, property types and price bands. Until you know what you want and where you want it, it won't matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

identify a number of houses, make appointments to view them for a whole day or two. I was living in London when I bought a house in Dublin. I lined up 14 appointments over 2 days. 7 with one agent, others across a variety. It’s not that difficult once you can be persuasive and they are confident that you are genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Meh I had to go sale agreed in Covid before I could see what I bought lol. Crazy times.

Advertisement