Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with a neighbour(s)

Options
  • 17-04-2024 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

I’ve gone anon for this because I need some advice on issues I’m facing with my neighbour.

I bought a house a few years ago in Dublin and the joining house next door was empty, a landlord owned it and was trying to rent it out. 4 or 5 months after I moved in the house which had been left unoccupied finally fell to new tenants (a couple but letting rooms to different friends/family and they would change every few months with the main tenants the couple staying the same)

The tenants at the start seemed a little rude. Parking their numerous cars over the dividing line between our gardens and I called this out Immediately and alls good they recognised their faults.

As time went on I became friendly with the neighbour and all was well he actually told me of a criminal offence he commited in the UK before moving to Ireland. Only issue we had was he texted me once before for the tv being too loud which was fine I turned it down no issue it’s on me it was blaring. Other than that no real issue for a couple of years.

This is where things take a turn. Randomly one night on a Sunday about 7 months ago he had music blaring laughing and shouting. So I texted him and he got back to me straight away apologising.
    All good racket stopped.

2 days later same thing happens again but this was odd because it was out of character then twigged he was away and his younger brother was staying in the house and bringing friends over who were causing a racket mid week. So I jumped up on the wall and asked the guys to keep it down so they did and were nice about it alls good. I had also texted the older brother the main tenant but he didn’t respond.

2 days later again another session and there’s a few guys making a racket blaring music so I jumped up on the wall and asked them to keep it down they said sorry but music and noise continued as well as pissing on the fence I put up but on their side in their back garden. I decided to text the tenant and tell him what the story was but no response and noise continued for another hour or so. This was also a Sunday again. So basically a week of partying. So I texted the landlord and said parties all week next door and how angry I was. The LL replies and said he’s contacting the guards and how did I get his number. Basically trying to turn the situation around. I got his number because it was stuck to the front of the house on a placard when he had it up for rent when I just moved in (it wasn’t on daft). I knew I might need the number some day so saved it.

Anyway I didn’t like the LL’s response because he was accusing me of obtaining his phone number illegally. I then decided I would report the LL to the RTB as the property isn’t registered.

Suddenly after texting LL about racket the main tenant texts me and apolgises and explains it’s his brother and that he’s away I said look i understand but we have a 1 year old and it’s not acceptable but water under the bridge I know what it’s like to be young.

After that things were never right between us but we stayed civil. I’ve a funny feeling the landlord gave him an earful or maybe screenshotted my messages. (LL unaware I reported him to RTB)

Fast forward 6 months later Sunday night just gone 10pm and music starts pumping drunken laughter and someone on a FaceTime call but connected to a Bluetooth speaker at full volume. So I can hear some guys voice blaring from the back garden. This goes until 11pm and then I decide to text. I assume his brother is in control again and he’s gone away. I text saying music very loud and someone talking on a Bluetooth speaker could you keep it down. Thanks.

His response clearly drunk and his messages are as follows:

“Are you serious”

“I am herw” (he mispelled that’s why I’m thinking he’s drunk and it’s unusual for him to be so loud)

“Get out to street at the front”

I replied and said I’m trying to sleep chat tomorrow
    He never replied.

Any suggestions on how to handle this guy?

Overall things have turned sour and now he’s become clearly more aggressive towards me. Also the texts read like a threat but could be broken English he’s Romanian.
    Although when he used to text me he always used words like please etc, so if he wasn’t being aggressive his message would usually read like (come outside please)

what makes matters worse is we had Romanians on the other side of us which went through a stage of drinking and partying constantly and made my partners pregnancy miserable until the main tenant split from his wife and kids and moved to cork but now he’s moved back in and the Romanians in both houses are Friendly They’ll sometimes attend each others houses to drink and bring family. Both houses are constantly noisy if it’s not cars it’s some family gathering which I don’t mind but when stuff starts going midweek with speakers I lose my cool.

FWIW I won’t text or complain before 12 at weekends and 11 midweek if they are partying. Both houses are rented.

Any help appreciated.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Start looking to move.

Keep a diary of all of this have a record so that if you do have to go to the RTB again you have a solid case.

Might be worth having a chat with the local garda station about the “Get out to street at the front” invitation to a fight. Might want to get CCTV installed. You could also text the LL when there is a party going on and share the disruption. And it's evidence for an RTB case. If you don't get a response right them.

Do you ever see the LL around, say collecting the rent in cash? Maybe a tax audit might make them sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loogsgoywoger

funny you say it. The LL used to stop by all the time to collect cash neighbour told me he collects cash about year ago but I haven’t seen him in months at this stage. I have a funny feeling he could be evading taxes but to be honest I’ve no proof of this.

I can’t move property unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible. I have a record of everything in WhatsApp. After reporting the LL on the RTB site I notice the property still isn’t registered. This was like 7 months ago. How long does it take to enforce a LL to register a property? I also received no correspondence back. I think I’ll call them next week.

Since the incident last Sunday I haven’t seen the neighbour and there hasn’t been a peep from the house as I’m sure he’s sober. His van didn’t move all day Monday so I can only assume he didn’t make work in his hungover state. But anyways it’s only a matter of time before another confrontation as summer approaches and the drinking ramps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Yeah you dont get to beat them they grind you down to their level. Easiest way is to change house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what use is texting the landlord. A landlord has no power of a tenant.

My experience of the RTB is they are a night mare to get setup for reregistering and many LL's simply don't bother.

If the LL is collecting rent in cash, tell them, you want a quite life and I'm sure they do too. If their tenant is sh1ting on your door step then they are sh1ting on his door step too because you'll have to down something about it, like going to the authorities and the RTB

• Advertisement

I thought the landlord owned the property in which the tenant lives. Am I mistaken is that not what a Landlord is?

Moving house might have to be the option. Pretty powerless at this point in time. I'm really not in the position to change properties at the moment. But I think I'm going to have to make it happen. Fed up at this point.

Well see he used to collect cash but it's been a while since I seen him. Probably transferring to a bank account in the country where he is from. Sudan as far as I know.

Text them the next time something happens, xyz is making noise again, my kids can't sleep I've work tomorrow … if he sh1ts on my door step I have to do something about it so it's on your interest to get get them to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

he does but once it’s rented out he has no control.

What do you think a landlord could do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

see https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution-services/adjudication

Third party dispute resolution services 

Third parties are those who are directly and adversely affected by neighbouring tenants and have the right to bring a case against the landlord of those tenants. 

Advertisement