Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice- no private car insurance History

Options
  • 16-04-2024 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

would love your opinions please-

my husband left his job in jan (drove a company car for 20 plus years), Ive had him as a named driver on my insurance for around 10 years.

He has his own car now and we are finding it hard to get a decent quote as technically he has zero years no claims bonus.

Is it possible to insure both cars in my name, and put him as a named driver? i probably use my NCB on two cars? i found one broker who will accept a letter from his old job (will ring them tomorrow).

is it work ring my current car insurer, who we also have the house insured with too and explain the situation.

thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK it's illegal to put someone down as named driver if they are the main driver so you're policy would be void in the event of a claim. See what the broker has to say and hope it comes in cheap enough. Some insurers take past driving under company policies into account so keep ringing as many as you can.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dublingirl83

appreciate the reply, thank you.

will give a few places a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I insured a car with AIG this year, our work broker got confirmation from AXA who insured our work vehicles that there were no claims or accidents on the policy in my name. I was 3 years without insurance in my own name but it worked, insured a 400bhp Audi Etron for 500 and something euro.

Bit of hassle but I got it done in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dublingirl83

thank you- i done a online quote with axa this evening- over a grand :)

Good idea though to contact the insurance company his company used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If the company used a broker, it will have to go through him/her.

I'm lucky that I'm.on good terms with him and I'm the one who passes the payments to him and gives him the business every year so he kinda had to do it to keep me happy.

Did take a bit of time though, policy started subject to me getting this info and AIG were threatening to cancel my policy waiting for it but I got it to them just in time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement