Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sportage HEV or PHEV

Options
  • 16-04-2024 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi all, am looking to change my car. Moving from the 7 seater Carens to a Sportage. Trying to decide between a HEV with over 50000kms for €36500 or a PHEV with just under 10000kms for €40900. Which would be better, HEV or PHEV and is it worth paying over €4k for lower mileage??

Thanks for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Which would be better, HEV or PHEV

Well, for a start do you actually want a PHEV?

No point in getting one unless you are willing to get a home charge point and are willing to plug it in every night.

If you do charge it each night you will have much cheaper fueling. Thats the primary benefit to picking a PHEV.

is it worth paying over €4k for lower mileage

Thats a bit more complicated. The PHEV is €3k more expensive than the HEV when new, so some of the €4k is for that reason alone, not so much the mileage.

50k km's is nothing anyway.

Are they both the same age?

Is your typical day <50km's?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

I have a home charger already as my husband has an electric car so the charging wouldn't be an issue.

I suppose my only issue is the PHEV is heavier so we are going to France this summer so I'm assuming the PHEV will be less fuel efficient with all the motorway driving.

My daily driving is a short commute to work and school pickups etc.. not alot of mileage to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I suppose my only issue is the PHEV is heavier so we are going to France this summer so I'm assuming the PHEV will be less fuel efficient with all the motorway driving.

No, it will be as good, probably better, than the HEV as long as you leave with a full charge. Any actual differences will be small.

One off trips like that shouldnt be your deciding factor anyway as the fuel costs for that holiday will be nothing compared to the other 364 days of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

As someone who had a HEV & now has a PHEV, the PHEV will be more economical IF you charge it every night.

If however you drive the PHEV as an ordinary HEV then it will cost more on fuel.

I drive a Kia Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

Thanks for the input, good to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Advertisement