Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stability or not stability shoes

Options
  • 16-04-2024 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

So i was told years ago i needed stability shoes and ever since have bedn buying them.

Has anyone on here who needs stability shoes gone for lighter neutral shoes and worked out ok for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Yep I'm in this boat, had gait analysis done way back (overpronator) and stability shoes were recommended and kind of stuck to those types of models exclusively for a while. However in the past 5 years or so I've been running a lot more, so built up a shoe rotation (usually 2-3 pairs on the go) that included mostly non-stability models, mainly due to including different shoes for speedwork etc. At the same time I was reading stuff about a shoe rotation being positive from an injury prevention perspective, and it being a good idea to let your body adapt to running in different shoes.

As I finished up a recent marathon training block my shoe rotation was reebok floatride 5, saucony triumph 21 and my only stability shoe was a brooks glycerin GTS 20 (I raced in the endorphin pro 3). I don't think I'll look for a specific stability shoe to replace the brooks (unless there is a bargain to be had!) - and for what its worth I haven't found any negatives to running in non-stability shoes. Also I suppose shoe design has changed quite a bit in the last few years, less pure stability models out there overall and some shoes have light stability features which can blur the lines a bit between neutral and stability shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭caper23

So went to local shop today stepped on the arch /gait plate and was told im not too bad and could so wear a neutral.

Now im looking at mainly hoka or sauncony maybe nike.

I want a shoe light enough for daily training but fast enough for racing. Any ideas?

Hoka? Saucomy speed 4?

Advertisement