Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Vs Tenant Costs - Repairs

Options
  • 15-04-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, construction fault reported to landlord several months ago. Failed to fix it until recently. Since then significant damage caused in multiple rooms to walls furnishings etc.

In order to fully rectify, tools and equipment needs to be used for a few weeks. I queried if these will use significant power, and was informed "it would be noticeable" on the electrify bill.

I am liable for those electric costs? If the fault was resolved early last year, 90% of the damage would not have occured, resulting in no additional equipment or tools being needed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

how noticeable?

best to agree with the LL, and take a meter reading before and after the work is done and estimate additional costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

in all fairness, most power tools would use minimum amount of electric as they would not be constant running, I've never noticed a difference in my electric when I've been doing renovations in the house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Part of the equipment are two industrial dehumidifiers that need to be ran 24 hours for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That could be the bones of €50 or so I'd be looking for that back. Easily estimated but something like these would avoid arguing about how much was used. They're handy to have anyway.

Edit: and it could easily be multiples of €50

https://www.tapo.com/uk/product/smart-plug/tapo-p110/

Thanks for that. I might fly over to B&Q and grab one (I know they do them). They're 1500w devices so my understanding at my current electricity rate of 0.328 per unit this works out to be quite costly?

• Advertisement

Definitely, that's huge consumption, my estimate was for a large one I have at home. Assuming they run full power constantly that's 2 x 1.5 kW x 24 h x 14 x €0.328/kWh = €330.62, you shouldn't be out of pocket for that.

I'd be a bit cautious about a 2 x 1.5 kW motor load on one of those smart plugs, might be safer to split over two.

Oh yeah, sorry, Im getting the dual pack! They do say they are rated for up 3990w but like yourself, Id be more cautious!

Advertisement