Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfing Alone and No membership or handicap

Options
  • 14-04-2024 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, maybe someone here has some insight. I used to golf back in the day and would like to get back into it. I have a set of old clubs and a few odds and ends to get me going.

The issue is I have no where to play. I have been to the range nearby, no problem there. I want to pay green fees and play a round on my own once or twice a month. The local club needs my handicap and membership details to make a booking, neither of which I have.

Is there a way to play casual golf off peak in this country as a solo golfer? I don't know anyone in the golf world or have any friends who play.

(As an aside I have autism and navigating a new space is fairly difficult and anxiety inducing for me so i try to get all the information before I commit to something.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

you shouldn’t need a handicap or a membership anywhere to book into a club as a visitor.

Ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭beeker1

Me & the brother in law play regularly in sillogue , full credit to the council for maintenance & it's very cheap ! To answer you're question we've never said no to a lad in the carpark looking to join a 2 or 3 ball , especially if he's willing to give you 28 , I'm joking !

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭beeker1

Joking about the handicap that is , most golfers are social , just ask , as I said , we've never said no to someone joining in !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If you post your location - we will have a good 10 options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

Ya as above, if you give a general location people can recommend courses to try.

For a lot of courses you should be just able to book online , without having to supply any handicap or membership details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barjamhill

Thanks for that everyone. Happy to hear it won't be an issue. I'm in Westmeath now but due to move to East Galway in a few months so it'll be good to get a few suggestions.

I'll be playing either early around 7am or after work about 6pm. So outside office hours, online booking/paying might be the handiest alright. Will do some research myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 animajic

I played up in Glasson in Athlone a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and just booked online as a visitor without a handicap. It wasn't the best weather so not too busy so I could stroll around at my own pace, it'll probably be a lot busier in the summer months though

Advertisement