Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandelion

Options
  • 13-04-2024 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a bad dandelion problem in some fields I have spread slurry on over the past few years.

They are flowering at the moment. Is it too late to spray them or what spray would people recommend?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

What harm are they doing? They're edible and once the grass starts growing, it will out compete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Jb1989

They can take over when they want to and choke the grass. Happened my field this 2 years and it pollinated the neighbours field. I'll put on fore front t as there is a few docks in field. And if still there after I'll go with mcpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Urea.

Rented ground last year which had a high dandelion count. Sprayed Urea all year together with a compliment of Sulphur, Trace elements and Humates and no dandelions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Dandelions are highly palatable for stock and their long tap root brings up nutrients that grass can't tap. In fact they are a key element of some of the best performing herbal leys. Great plant for Bees and other pollinators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Agreed, Low fertility is probably the reason they're there, you never see them in good fertility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

And in poor springs for grass growth. Good grass will outcompete tg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lstmd

I'm afraid grass yield will be affected by them. I thought they only grew in fertile land. I think once in silage ground I'm spreading them every time I spread slurry.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

Dandelion seeds are windborne ie typically known as "parachutes". They are well dispersed before grass is cut and very little left to be carried in slurry. Once the grass grows it will crowd them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

My neighbour was fixated with Dandelions. He sprayed every year. Taking his time, driving straight and stepping the headlands every time. Always proud of his work.

He died a few years ago and the Dandelions turned up in force giving him a nice send off. They didn’t bare a grudge as them bowed their golden heads as his remains slowly wound down the avenue that April morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Do you have enough grazing so you don't overgraze? You'll get far more weed seeds germinating and thriving in overgrazed land.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dandelions are a symptom of compaction.

We've had the greatest time of rainfall going. Coupled if you say spreading slurry.

Dandelions are as edible as grass and moreso you could eat them yourself in a salad.

Don't bother spraying would be my advice. The spraying will only further destroy any soil biota and increase the compaction more.

If you want to tackle them then it's calcium lime is needed to open the ground or what @alps is doing helping along the soil biota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If they weren't so plentiful they would be treasured.

"Dandelions growing on headlands, showing their unloved hearts to everyone” Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

why would dandelions be an issue in grass? I have some and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Crazy spraying them. I'd test Soil PH first and lime accordingly. NPK after.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hugely beneficial, waste of time and money to spray them. Grass will always out compete them eventually. Always love to see them coming up myself, great sign of the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Cows seem to eat them ok. They are a fecker for hay-feaver sufferers when they go to flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dandelions are growing before the grass, they are more cold tolerant. The problem has been that it wasn't a great Grass month gone by, spraying dandelions won't change that bar the time and expense of it for nothing achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not Correct, neither or or low fertility is an issue. I have an abundance of them in one paddocks. Ph would be near 7, it might be slightly shy of P buts it's high in K. Poaching not any issue either.

Not really they tend not to be asichnif an issue in other paddocks. Yeas silage groups the issue in my case as well. However the seed should not be coming in with silage as they flower in April.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kincora2017

It’s deeply depressing to hear farmers talking of spraying fields to get rid of dandelions. So much for the custodians of the land 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

Was it depressing to see most of the farmers above advised against spraying them? Or did just come here for the outrage?

I wonder what the decline in dandelions would be if the grassland farmers were removed as seems to be popular opinion of those who come her to utter the words "custodians of the land", it's ironic I've only every herd that phrase from visitors coming here to try and get a rise out of farmers.

• Advertisement

We don't own it really, the folios with our names on it mean nothing apparently.

I’m not outraged. Ultimately it’s peoples land and they’re not breaking any law. I do find it depressing that spraying to get rid of dandelions should even be up for discussion. It’s good to see most people go against it.

I was at the botanical gardens in Kilmacurragh not so long ago where the guide explained about the wildflower meadow there that borders onto adjoining farmland, separated by a ditch. The meadow is natural, not man-made, but has fortuitously been protected from modern agricultural methods as it is within the boundaries of the house. The guide explained the level of biodiversity in the meadow compared to the adjoining fields. I can’t remember the figures but the difference was eye wateringly stark. It’s depressing to hear of the damage we continue to do to our own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

How many tonnes/ha is he growing in the wild flower meadow?

haha! Of Dandelions?!? Enough to keep him going till next year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you're worried about the enviironment you shouldn't be driving a car or riding in buses/trains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Lets stick to the dandelions. Enough other threads turn into a slanging match about the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

I’m not outraged

Strange….

Because this remark makes it seem otherwise:

So much for the custodians of the land

If you'd actually read the majority of posts you'd find spraying was far from the consensus.

In fact if you look at post #5 the most liked post within the thread, which is a good indication of the sentiment of the regular posters here including those who didn't leave a response you may be a little less depressed.

But having said that, the issue of dandelions is worthy of discussion, it is neither natural nor productive for a field to be growing nothing but dandelions either and at the end of the day as others suggested here it may be worth investigating/fixing underlying issues with the land that may be allowing them to out compete all other grassland species without the need to completely eradicate them. Other forms of farming such as veg, tillage or forestry definitly wouldn't have a discussion on whether or not to allow the dandelions grow. As for your wild-flower meadow in the botanical gardens, I have my doubts as to whether it exists entirely naturally either, as some maintenance would be required by manual cutting or some form of intermittent grazing (natural or otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

At the risk of really stirring the pot....what about an infestation of bastard docks!

Advertisement