Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks to end with Season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. It should get 10 seasons not 5.

Let's start a petition.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Devastated ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Conflicted.

Yes, I love LD. But I'd rather quality over quantity #Cough#Discovery#Cough#

While id love to see a few more seasons, I'd also love it to go out on a high. Created, produced, written and performed by people who love it (and it shows). Rather that than it dragging on as people leave bit by bit. The crew need to move on up (as they did last season)...... The Simpsons peaked before season 10.… 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

KHAAAAANNNN!!!

I mean, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It does beg the question "What's next?". Paramount initially had some plan to always have some Treks on the go. With this ending and Discovery and, thankfully, Section 31 being turned into a movie-of-the-week, What's to replace them? Academy with Tilly? Well that be enough?

How about a post "Burn" series. Yes, the reason was insane and pathetic and the solution was predictable (Burnham fixed it). All that tech and nowhere to go...

Episode 1: Fancy shmancy ships flying about. All of a sudden, no warp. Crash cut to opening titles. Next scene: "3 years later..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

That's a pity! As the article points out though, they have sort of aged out of the Lower Decks. Hopefully not the last we'll see of these characters, or this style of Trek show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I just can't see any justification of reason for this. This leaves another hole in their attempt at a Star Trek show being released every week, with Discovery ending, Section 31 turned into a one-off movie, and Academy probably likely to fail, this just doesn't help anyone. It's also implying that SNW will also only get 5 seasons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely heartbreaking breaking. Best Trek since DS9 and best of the new stuff by a long long distance.

Ms

SIgn the petition and get it to 7 seasons at least.

It Deserves that,

https://chng.it/ZHf2XSj9fC

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Funny that people thought Discovery getting canned was the producers coming to their senses 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah, with the news of Discovery finishing up, and the Section 31 rubbish in apparent limbo at the time...things were looking a bit brighter. It seems now, we're back to business as usual.

I fully accept the point that it's better to end something on a high, as opposed to milking the dilithium crystals for all their worth. The thing is though, I rank it as still the most creatively written, well put together, nu-Trek show…by killing that off, what are we making way for? The last glimmer of hope is that the Lower Decks writers have been put on an unannounced project…if that's not the case, I think the Khan reference is very fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

So is 5 seasons the new 7 when it comes to modern Trek shows? Certainly feels premature to cut off Lower Decks at 5 seasons. It can't cost Paramount anywhere near the expense of the live action shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Jack Quaid's post on Instagram, sounds like it wasn't exactly a natural or expected end to the series. That sucks.

[…] The good news is that everyone who makes Lower Decks LOVES making Lower Decks. I could play Boimler for 17 more seasons. No joke. I’m serious. I love that purple-haired nerd. Hopefully we find a new home, but until then please look forward to an amazing season five (airing this fall)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

What a kick in the stones. This and Strange New Worlds are the only good Trek to have been made in almost 30 years and they fecking cancel it. Five seasons? Come on!! That's equal to Enterprise ffs

It's actually only half of Enterprise.

They got 98 episodes and LD will only get to 50.

Aye good point.

I was moaning to someone yesterday about how typical TV seasons nowadays means 8-10 episodes, usually one story.

Back in the 90s you'd get 24 episodes each with a standalone plot.

I've been watching the original Lost in Space recently and christ they put in the work, almost 30 episodes a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm disappointed....

Ms

We can save Lower Decks. Sign the petition I posted above I signed it and any others to save it . It deserves at least another 50 episodes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doubt a petition is going to do much good. Prodigy season 2 was easier to "save" (I'm sure work was going on to find it a new home regardless of fan petitioning) as it was already done, just needed someone to buy it.

I think Jack Quaid said something along the lines of "maybe we'll find a new home" which I find embarrassing tbh.

The Home of Star Trek has Star Trek shows begging other networks to pick them up after being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

I had hoped for at least 6 seasons so that we'd get a complete collection of TOS Movie poster promos for the show (Each season's poster corrisponds with a TOS Movie poster.)

I really thought they could get up to 7 Seasons to finish off with a traditional TNG-era ending that the show seemed to deserve. It has been by-far the most fun I've had with Trek since that era ended. It really feels like it belongs to the same world of TNG, DS9, and VOY.

Once they got promoted it did feel like they'd reach a bit of a wall, but with the addition of T'Linn and a possible arc of trying to get Tendi back from the Orions there feels like there's plenty of steam yet. I guess one hope here is that since this show is animated, there is always the chance of a continuation. They don't have to worry about rebuilding bridge-sets or refitting Starfleet uniforms. They just need the VAs back and they can continue.

Hell, how many times had we seen Futurama cancelled over the years? I lost count, it kept coming back. My hope is that LD, or at least some of these awesome characters make a return…and soon.

I just hope to high-heavens that this wasn't cancelled just to funnel all remaining cash into that damned Academy show.

I was thinking exactly of Futurama actually.

I guess I just don't understand the intricacies of US telly but if there's enough of a market for a show that, say, Comedy Central starts making it at season 6, why would Paramount cancel it?

All this does is alienate a not-inconsiderable percentage of a HUGE fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The complication here is that it is part of a franchise, and if you pitch yourself as the "Home of Star Trek" and you have all the other shows… then having this rogue other Star Trek show on a competitor is the sort of thing that gives suits and marketing nightmares.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't really get this one, it's a cheap show to make relative to it's popularity…seems like free money for paramount plus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Rough time for Tawny Newsome. The news of Lower Decks wrapping came out on the 12th. On the 13th her father lost his fight with cancer.

My sympathies to the family, may he rest in peace.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C51eA6lSgao/?igsh=YmpwYTQwamYyYWg1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Had not considered they could pull a Futurama. This gives me hope.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

If Prodigy could do it...

(Not knocking Prodigy really and I know they had a season already made and ready to air, but surely to god if a kids show can get picked up by another network, then a series as popular as Lower Decks has a good chance?)

Is Lower Decks popular in the broader sense though or just cult popular with a section of Trek fans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's impossible to be sure. As with anything streaming related, there's no proper stats or viewership numbers. But this is also an era where entire shows and movies (Inside Job season 2, Coyote vs Acme etc) are made and binned just to be tax writes off and never see the light of day.

• Advertisement

I didn't know about Inside Job. That show wasn't bad.

I still end up shattered every time someone reminds me that Final Space got cancelled. That show has so much more going on than it looks at first glance.

Advertisement