Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks vs credit unions, the finance thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The difference between an SBCI loan and a credit union loan is running at around 2%. Growth and sustainability is 4.6% I think and you canntake it out over 10 years

On a 50k loan it 5k in extra interest over 10 years. Nearly 1k in the first year alone.

Slava Ukrainii

They probably feel.they have over lend especially to dairying. However I have only money other loan, 4 years left. Not a substantial amount. Finished up repaying a loan last year with slightly higher repayments so repayment capacity totally proven. Credit rating should be OK even though BOI made some f@@kup early last year with it.

One bee in there bonnet they seem to have with older farmers is that they have an inheritor/successor which is fair enough. But lending to farming seems to have really tightened.

Having said that I think if it had been my own bank I have the money within a month

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Jack98

You need substantial enough off farm income I see in the journal yesterday they had a headline off farm income vital for beef farmers looking for loans.

Got a loan for land approved over 6 weeks ago and if I hadn’t been involved in the application doubt they’d have lent to my parents as both are close on retirement age. Max term offered by AIB was 10 years and they questioned about derogation very early into application.

More hoops constantly with them and I share the sentiment with many other posters AIB is very anti lending to farming now unless it’s for a new tractor/loader etc that they can recoup their money quick on when the shite hits the fan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ah yeah, I get the numbers alright.

You're really just filling in the SBCI application to get the lower interest rate (which is well worth it as you describe), but I don't think it helps much with convincing the bank to OK the loan.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Ya It's a slightly higher than 2% (2.15) I think subsidised lending. The SBCI was the easiest. I had that sorted in less than a week. BOI then informed me tgat tgeynonly do Green project lending as opposed to being a green farmer

The bank is something else though. The only other lenders is Microfinance Ireland and they charge 6%+ so I did not engage with them. TBH they seemed more eager for the business.

I am good to wade through paperwork but what is going on is ridiculous. However I can understand in a way. Tge lads who cannot pay and get a way with it are costing us big time

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Off farm income is not an issue a nice bit above 100k/ year fr

Or myself abd wife, admittedly age .ay be an issue I am 62 and hersef is 4 year younger. However people now work into there 70's. As well its a farm business loan and son is entering the partnership. I cannot see the issue as both if us will have decent pensions and a couple small rental properties.

The big problem I see for banks is recouping bad loans and it is starting to haunt those of us that want/need to borrow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

Are you in ACRES, Bass? From my own enquiries, BOI requirements are that you are in Bord Bia and Acres to be eligible for SCBI loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Farmer friend of mine was waiting 4 weeks for a cheque book to arrive he's an existing customer of AIB. He's a big operator. It's mad stuff.

That is covered in the SBCI so as to define you as a green farmer. No BOI requirement is its green lending as opposedto being a green farmer( solar panels, new milk storage units etc). Even got that clarified by SBCI

Slava Ukrainii

Was it a new cheque book completely, a replacement for a lost one, or a replacement for one just finished.

Had something similar years ago, reorder was tagged at 5 or 10 cheques left ( if a couple of lads were slow to lodge it f@@ked you up) I solved it by when first cheque was used in a chequebook new book was on back order.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think wherever prints the cheque books etc in the uk went bang and they were sourcing another supplier, still no excuse though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

My enquiry was for funding for a shed, acres and Bord Bia were the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

The very best of luck with this endeavour. You've done the right thing..Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

+1 the best of luck Siamsa, you had no choice but to give it a go after all the thought you put into it, you will be the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭dmakc

Have to say I have good experiences with BOI, my loans are usually last minute and they've always acted fairly quick in this regard. No hassle in pushing out a TAMS loan recently too when the dept were slow to process the fund returns

I am in Acres and Bord bia. Is the present Growth and Sustainability tranche you got funded under or a previous one

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Best of luck with the new endeavour Siamsa. I look forward to following it all on the YouTube channel (if you continue with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

I just had a bad morning with Boi trying to cancel replace do anything with a card I left in machine in local branch Last week.

All I'll say is my thick tongue mumble is no worse than the bad line to had to India or wherever I was trying to work with.

Half hour or repeating my phone number for account verification purposes and I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Best of luck Siamsa with the new venture always enjoy your YouTube Channel so best of luck and I hope it all works out for you

I was parked outside aib in Ardee today around 12.45. It closes for lunch from 12.30 to 1.30. The amount of people who came to the door and then realised it was closed was unreal. 1 lad kicked the door and walked away.

• Advertisement

Got verbal approval a week ago. Told documentation would be a few days ( they do not do docusign). Still no sign of it in snail mail. Now its 13 weeks since the process started with AIB and except I am pushing it all the time it would be another 2-3 weeks at least.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I went into AIB in Clane last week to lodge a cheque, only to be told it's not a full service branch and they don't do cheque lodgements, all the 2 staff could do was show people how to use the account management terminals.

Ardee is the same. If the machine is broken you need to go to the local post office with your lodgement book. Lodgement will take a day longer though in post office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

I lodge in the local post office. Only beside me. If you don't get into the town during the day and lodge cheque at night at atm you wouldn't know how'd be lurking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I do all the lodgements through the post office now. It saves a half an hour drive to go to the bank in either Cavan or Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Going by delays here, god help the thief who steals your cheque, he'll have some wait to cash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

haven’t dealt with the credit union in years, what way does it work with them when it comes to a stocking loan, do you repay the money monthly or repay in full at the end of the agreed period?

Oh lodged a cheque, that day the person who wrote the cheque told him not to lodge it. It was returned to us. I went to relodge it today using the machine in aib. It kept returning the cheque back out. The girl at the counter said the printed numbers weren't being read by the machine on the cheque. She was able to fill in a form and lodge it manually. So much for not being able to lodge a cheque if the machine is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

IFJ have an article on different finance options too

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/agribusiness/news/the-loan-options-available-for-working-capital-and-investment-815061

There was some farming related story on Bobby Kerrs programme on Newstalk this morning too. The only bit I caught of it though had a lad from a bank saying they'd great deals for farmers and to speak to your lender of choice

• Advertisement

Loan finally came through end of week. Virtually 13 weeks from start to finish and except I kept on top of it would have taken another 2-4 week.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement