Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Size - asking a question when you ready know the answer

Options
  • 11-04-2024 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

So, I've been on the lookout, on and off, for a Caad10 for a while now.

I have a lead on one for a good price, but the size is the catch.

I'm riding a Giant size L (57/58, I think) at the moment, but I could probably have taken an M/L (about a 56, I think) and been quite happy on it.

The Caad is a 54. The guy selling it says his other bike is a 56 and they feel the same to him.

It's bit of a drive away, am I deluding myself in thinking I could fit a 54, or is the Cannondale sizing a bit odd (as I cross my fingers)?

For reference, I'm just under 6'1" (185cm), and I take a 34" leg (never actually measured my inseam)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

https://geometrygeeks.bike/

Search that site, match your current bike and size to the new bike and size. Stack and reach are the important measurements, add whats on your current bike in terms of spacers and stem length and see what you would have to do to make the new bike fit.

A giant in an L is a big bike, I'm on a medium and the caad 54 would work for me, measures pretty close to a M giant TCR. If your on a Defy it would be good bit lower on the front end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Cheers. I'm on a Revolt, so a different sort of geometry to a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I had a Caad 9 back a few years ago, size 54 but always felt bigger than my 54 Treks , eventually sold it as I couldn't lower the saddle height, had rightly seized. Was a higher frame, not much room between crossbar and liathrodies when straddled whereas plenty of clearance on Treks.

Looking at the front end being around 5cm lower on the cannondale to the revolt, before spacers come into play, that's a good drop in height.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Similar to above, I ride a 54 Trek and a 52 Supersix.
    Anecdotally, Cannondales size up a bit larger than other brands. I haven’t studied geometries but the 52 works for me at 173cm.
    you could probably make it work with the right stem length and seat post but whether or not you could ride it comfortably is the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2nd vote for Geometry Geeks. fwiw I am a M/L on Giant, but found the Cannondale sizing a bit bigger to other brands when I was gravel bike shopping and ended up with a Topstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Has the steerer tube been cut on the CAAD10?

Not according to the picture, there's a stack of spacers underneath the stem

It does sound a bit on the small side, but maybe with a longer stem it could work.

Another site you could try is bikeinsights.com.

Turns out an insight is only an insight if you know what you're looking at. It's a bit shorter, and a bit lower at the front, both of which I had figured. After that, I can't really interpret the numbers.

Anyone with a better understanding of geometry than me able to shed light? Bearing in mind that I flipped the stem on my Giant, and lowered the stem by about 10 mm from stock

• Advertisement

The stack numbers given are the 'slammed' stem numbers, or if there is a frame integrated spacer to route cables through this can be included in the measurement.

So based on the numbers on that site the cannondale is around 70mm lower on the front end, other site has it around 60mm. Now if you add in the spacers you are currently running on your bike and you will get the total diff between your bike and the slammed cannondale. To get the cannondale to match the giant with zero spacers under the stem your looking at running 70mm of spacers on the cannondale, then add in any that you may be using on the giant too.

Reach are very similar, giant is about 15mm longer but probably running a short enough stem, most gravel bikes do. So stem diff would need to take this into account.

If your running any spacers under your giant stem I'd guess the cannondale won't work, your looking at decent diff without spacers. Giant may be set up to be extra comfy and you might have the flexibility to drop 70mm on the cannondale, but 70mm is a very big difference.

The stack-to-reach ratio on the Revolt is 1.43:1 and on the CAAD it's 1.55:1. So the Revolt is rather on the upright side and the CAAD is rather on the racy side. I'm 1 cm shorter than you with pretty good flexibility, and I wouldn't buy the CAAD in that size. The reach is ok but the stack is way too low for me.

So, as I thought in the beginning, I asked a question I already knew the answer to.

New question, anyone want to sell me a Caad10 in a 56 (or 58) for a really reasonable amount of money?

Messing aside, thanks for all the replies, folks. This is what makes the cycling forum on boards such a great space.

So … eh … where was this bike advertised? *whistles innocently*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm 183 cm and I ride a Caad10, 12, and SuperSix 58 with 120mm stem. At 185 you haven't a hope of fitting on a 54 imo. Depending on how you like your fit you might be able to get a suitable reach but the front end is going to be way way too low. You'll have an absolute chimney of spacers under the stem.

There's a lovely looking 56 '12 on Adverts at the moment for a good price. Listed a few days ago.

The black one in Kilcock? Saw it, it's lovely, but also more than twice what the 10 was costing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yep. Doing well to get a 10 or 12 much cheaper in good condition unless some lad doesn't know what he has - which is unlikely. Pal bought an excellent condition 56 '10 last week, no wheels, and it was best part of 800.

If anyone is interested in the bike itself, I'll link the ad here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

I've a CAAD12 54cm. It's more like a 56. I also ride a Sensa Trentino size 58. Absolutely zero issue with the fit on either. I actually think the reach is a smidge longer on the CAAD with the 120mm stem I have on it

I'm 182cm

Advertisement