Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek›Discovery 5x03 'Jinaal' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 11-04-2024 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Star Trek›Discovery 5x03 'Jinaal' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }  Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Passable episode and at least they gave an excuse as to why there is a breadcrumb trail to the McGuffin. Thank God that we might have seen enough of Gray/Idira storyline.

As for the new Commander's storyline, the obvious redemption arc is obvious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That felt fairly fillery, with very little progress made across a bunch of story threads.It harkened back to the cheap sci-fi of the 70s and their constant use of quarries. I did like Wilson Cruz's portrayal of the swap into Jinall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Only catching up on this now. Well, they've definitely doubled down on all the Discovery tropes. And Tig Notaro is just one person I can't stand. I'm not sure if it's her acting, or lack thereof.

Not only did they apparently demote poor Leoben, they also are making him do heart to hearts with the crew? He is right, what a stupid waste of his abilities. And Tilly giving out to him for being short with Anthony Raap, he is in command of her right, not the other way around.

Also cloaking phaser monster. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Rubbish tbh.

Aside from anything else, I really just can't get onboard with the way language is used in this show. "I can walk and chew gum" says the " " alien " " in the 32nd century. Totally forced and unbelievable conflict between Raynor and the rest of the crew. Nobody acts that way and it's not fun to imagine they might.

And following a bunch of bloody riddles and hidden clues and another tired "I wanted to see what you'd do when faced with a creature you don't understand". God, what a drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jinaal_%28episode%29

Moll planting a tracker or something on Adira?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Also I hate how all the technology looks on this show. It used to be such a joy to see a couple of ships together, or seeing a starbase was a real treat. In this it's just a mess of barely distinguisable blue/white lights and blue/grey flat lifeless looking slabs of nothing really. I find it difficult to hold an image of the Discovery in my head at all, it's weird from every angle with those stupid floating nacelles.

And I really hate the mind-reading computer tech they have. Was that ever explained? A wave of a hand and what you wanted is in front of you. Tap tap tap in the air and yep, that's done what was needed. "Ready your phases", and suddenly phasers appear in the hand. How? Later they're tapping on the wrists to initiate a transport (to show that it isn't working!) why tapping now? Why not just imagine it and it'll happen, like with the floaty-holo-computers and phasers-from-nowhere. Gah.

And I do have some appetite for "technology so advanced will look like magic" but this doesn't look like magic, it looks dumb.

Post edited by eadrom on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I noticed something odd about the secondary cast on this one. They seem to have gutted a lot of it. They namecheck Owosekun, Detmer and Nilsson, only to reveal that Nilsson is transferred to Voyager, and the other two never show at all, despite being there from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

Absolute muck, turned it off half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Filler 3 eps in and a filler ep ffs

God this is awful but yet I'm watching it.

As for the missing cast well done for them escaping tbh

Went back to try it again, skipped through the adira/gray sh1t and saru sh1t. Still crap, still watched it 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

2 out of 5 pieces of the puzzle!

Have we another 3 filler episodes to go to get to the point.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Owosekun and Detmer were in the previous episodes so they're still around. Yet I think we found out more about their replacements in their first episode than we did for the main 2 in the first season.

So we got the whole Adira/Gray relationship and Saru/president relationship. Oh, joy. This is what I watch Star Trek for. Were we meant to get upset about Adira and Gray breaking up?

I forgot about Book's Doctor Dolittle powers. How lucky was it that the first person Michael met in the future would turn out to be someone who knew everyone and everything they need to know and have these powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well at least this is in an alternate Universe. Still a pity they coukd have not done things differently like instead of Picard finding the progenitors 800 years ago it could instead have been Captain Riker or Data even.

A lot of rubbish in this. All the Saru whatever crap and all that Adira/Grey crap. No interest.

I know the creature cloaking thing is a bit far out but remember Picard in the Prime Universe also fought a cloaked creature on that planet with the alien that wanted to communicate with him. One of the best ever TNG episodes.

As I suppose it is possible. I knew aa soon as they hid the rocks abd went to use the transporter that it would not work. How does it work do they press it and it reads their thoughts to where they want to go is that it?

The only reason I am watching season 5 is because I want to see how it all ends. I only watched 1 episode of Season 4.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Got about 10 mins in and I had to stop. Will pick it up again today. But it did not bode well:

Reno (I love her character!) talking to Stamets about Adira's tension about Grey: "Do I need to be worried?" Why do you need to be worried? They are a grown adult in a relationship LONG before Stamets and Culver stuck their noses in. I always found the whole Stamets/Culver/Adira situation creepy. Them "adopting" Adira seemingly simply because of their sexual identity. I like the characters individually, especially Adira. They portray their insecurities and self doubts and moments of confidence very well. And the Stamets/Culver relationship is nicely portrayed but their taking of Adira under their wing as if Adira was like 8?… yeah. Creepy

But yeah, I got about 10 mins in and when GrandMaster Trill said something like "Be careful, the experience can be emotionally overwhelming" I had to pause.

Sigh… I'll get back to it later.

"GrandMaster Trill said something like "Be careful, the experience can be emotionally overwhelming" I had to pause."

This was actually one of the better aspects of the episode IMO

Oooofffff

I thought this was the same universe?

As for how the personal teleporters work, I have no idea. Especially when the guy said they couldn't teleport as he didn't know the coordinates. At no point do we see them entering coordinates. Maybe they can program them so it's like a double tap to go to the ship. though they seem to be able to go to specific parts of the ship.

I know when they first got them, they had Linus ending up in random places on the ship while learning to use it, but it was never explained how it worked, as far as I know.

So, in short, magic.

Sure it's like their phasers. I assume there's some kind of personal replicator they wear to generate them and they can generate multiple since last week Burnham used hers for the EMP blast then just created another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

yes this is the first year i am not attempting a weekly watch at all - having fast forwarded most of season 4, and hated it. I decided to leave it til its over and then binge watch. I should say this is literally first for me. im an ardent trekkie and stuck through the worst of the franchise including the dreaded season two of enterprise. I never thought Trek would ever be as bad as that, let alone worse.

I was very Naive. In my humble opinion Discovery passed the low S2 Enterprise watermark during season 4.

From your comments i can sense that this is even worse. Shocking really.

im actively looking for spoilers online, because i dont think its possible to spoil such a bad season. But judging from your reactions, im relieved i avoided it. Il fast forward through the season the day after it ends - I will truly never know how the writers thought this type of crap would be enjoyable.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So this technology is so dangerous no-one can be trusted unles they prove themselves worthy. How does solving a few silly riddles prove that. It would be like Oppenheimer deciding the nuclear bomb was too dangerous so will only give it to someone who can solve a word search.

Yeah, that was bugging me this week: "OK, you guys go back to the ship"… Tap… "Book, go to Sickbay"… Tap… Go over there… tap… far side of the moon… tap.

Last week, fighting the drones:

"Here, Michael, take my phaser to overload the control mechanism"

"But you'll be defenseless"

"It's OK. I can run fast"

Takes his phaser and does the thing.

"OK, let's go"

Both instantly generate new phasers….. Wait, wut?

As for this episode: Grey. Who cares. Always found him annoying. Actually liked Saru/Vulcan bits. And at least Culver actor got to do something apart from "Be sensitive like the good gay you are…."Although I was sure that the other personality was not going to leave him. That they would pretend to be Culver in a (not very surprising) twist.

"Bad people are coming"

"We can protect ourselves"

"Oh. uh. Apparently she can just come in and pretend to be one of us. Nobody thought to do a headcount at this very sensitive and private ritual? Nobody?"

At least Reno got her usual great line "Last time I did one if these I got chips" And I did like Tilly's vent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just awful.

Mind reading transporters make zero sense. People like saru using them to beam 10ft away is just ridiculous.

As usual they have the emotions turned up to 11 and the plot, character development and writing down at 0.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Fell asleep 10 minutes in. Think I'll give up on it now.

I'm guessing Culver is now going to act differently now from the way he was going on about how it felt to have another consciousness inside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hopefully that's the last we see of Gray, what a terrible character. Like, yay for trans representation in the franchise but did it have to be with such an irritating, badly acted character? At least Adira is pretty likable if a little redundant at times.

Passable episode but the acting throughout seemed worse even than usual. Like everyone was just reading lines off a teleprompter and making no effort to actually be in character.

Poor Raynor. A quote from "The Tick" comes to mind: "you're not going crazy, you're going sane in a crazy world!"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It feels really like all the characters know its their final season so everything is just so special, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,848 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Found that quite a chore… took 2 sittings to get through. Actually enjoyed the Saru & T'Rina c-story as a conversation on the potential political fallout of their relationship - felt like a reasonably grown up bit of decision making (even if a bit needlessly played out for drama). Everything else in the episode was pretty meh.

As an aside it's mad that, at a time when there are 2 animated shows, one of them specifically for kids, that Discovery comes across as the most immature. And not even fun immature, but joylessly immature. Like, remember the DS9 Zhian'tara episode (Facets) and how much fun that was. There's just no fun here, only childish overtly-faux-emotional nonsense forever. It's like the immaturity of a child trying to play at being mature.

Also, they're really dragging the bejesus out of these episodes - that one could easily have crept in under the good 'ol 42 minutes, instead of the 55 minutes we had to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fair play to Rayner for pointing out to that crew that they are so mind numbing that 30 words is the most he can stomach from them.

Then the have the cheek to think he is mad because they are not allowed ramble like gossiping school kids.

Advertisement