Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a mortgage to buy in another county when my permanent job is in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-04-2024 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Myself and my partner are both teachers in Dublin (Primary and Secondary) and both on permanent positions. We are finally both in a position to apply for a mortgage and start the process of buying our own place. From watching the current housing market in Dublin and surrounding area, we have decided that we cant afford to buy in Dublin. Our plan is to move home (Limerick & Kilkenny). I’ve chatted to a few a people and there seems to be conflicting information on whether we can get a mortgage and buy a house down the country while holding permanent jobs up here. Our plan was to get mortgage approval by December and buy at home and leave the permanent jobs and get jobs over the summer (2025).

So I suppose the question is - Will we be blocked from buying at home if the jobs are in Dublin while we’re looking and bidding down the country?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surely it would make more sense to get a job first, and then look for a house within commuting distance of the job. Otherwise you may buy a house, but not be able to get a job anywhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nailer94

I have absolutely considered doing as much but the jobs up here are permanent and I’m presuming you need a permanent job to get mortgage approval. If I move down there’s a chance that I will only get a fixed term contract. It can take 2 years to get a CID/permanent job. There’ll be no problem getting a job when we do move down

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Here is the thing, the banks are well aware of the games people play when it comes to applying for loans… the reason they are looking at your employment record is because they are trying to assess your ability to pay down the loan. And buried somewhere in the small print you can expect to find requirements to provide accurate information, keep it up to date and the consequences of failing to do so. And depending on the situation the bank might invoke those provisions.

But I would not be surprised if it did not get that far. I expect the reason people are telling you this is not possible is because the loan officers were not born yesterday! They'll take one look at your circumstances and immediately realise there is a strong possibility you'll be giving up your jobs and that will lead them to factor it in in your evaluation. So it may come down to what other assets you have to offer, their expectations of you finding work in the new location and so on.

So expect to be hit with some very hard probing questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

What will you say with the mortgage provider asks how will you get to work each day?

Somewhat related can you show a potential lender you can meet their affordability criteria while paying rent in Dublin?

A non-finance related issue have you both lived in either county together? While it might be home for one of you there's no guarantee the other will be happy. Those couple of years on a fixed term contract might be a good opportunity to test the waters without overcommitting too early.

Advertisement