Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir NBI gigabit

Options
  • 10-04-2024 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I've read a few posts from people where Eir claim that a line is on 1000/100 but max speeds are 500/50. I recently signed up for Eir NBI gigabit on the 24 month contract and noticed that the max speed I'm getting is 500 down and 50 up. Is there anyone here with Eir on NBI getting 1000 down and 100 up?

I rang tech support and they say that I'm on the correct profile. I know that its "up to" but I do feel a little annoyed that if this is the max I'm getting then I could have paid 10 euro less a month and had a 12 month contract instead. I was primarily signing up for the increased upload.

I've everything hardwired and interface is at 1Gb, it's able to transfer local files at that speed no problem but speed test caps at 500/50 so something is up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Not on NBI but if both the download and upload are maxing out at 500/50 it does seem like you are on the wrong profile (given your comments on price I assume you signed up for "up to 1Gb" package and not just "Gigabit" internet which they sometimes misleadingly use as a generic term for FTTH).

I am pretty sure I have seen posters here report being assured multiple times they are on the correct profile only to have the ISP subsequently admit they were not.

Did you get a written contract and what does it say in respect of typical and minimum guaranteed speeds? I'm on Vodafone SIRO and they had in their contract (a few years old now) that they guaranteed they would normally provide 90% of the maximum speed on FTTH packages.

Post edited by dam099 on

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BeerFarts

Yep, signed up for the "up to 1Gb" package. I just got the welcome email which does state that 55-60% of the speeds should be available with a minimum of 10%. I'd understand if speed were fluctuating but they're capping at 500/50 every time so it feels like a profile issue.

Unfortunately I've had to deal with Eir support for a separate VLAN issue arising from KN installer too and that took longer than it should have to sort. I feel like I could be chasing this one around a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

Yes, I am with Eir NBI gigabit and I do get nearer the 1000 down and 100 up. I consider myself lucky after the quality and problems we had to endure over the years from all the suppliers piggybacking on the Eir infrastructure! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

Where I live I can only get 80 MB/s. Works fine for my needs. But when Eir connected me for a month I've only been getting max 40 MB/s.

I called them to ask what's up with that? Tech guy straight away found that I'm on the wrong profile. He updated it and I was getting double speed straight away.

So my advice call them, speak to Tech department. Tell them you are paying extra €10 to have speed over 500 MB/s and you never see it go over that. If they say again you are on correct profile, then they should send someone out to take a look. Like it's their job to troubleshoot issues and find where is the problem.

I called Eir again and they've now issued a fault with NBI. I used to work for an ISP and I find it strange that this would be issued as a fault. I would have thought speed profiles would be controlled at the ISP level - at least it was for the provider I worked for but Eir might be different.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm getting no where with Eir. Their support are great at answering the phones now but that's about it, it's just so frustrating to get any proper answers.

Does anyone know if the 14 cooling off period applies to Eir fibre + installation? I'm not sure if fibre install waives that.

I'd recommend anyone reading this to steer well clear of them, they're absolutely woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your first mistake was signing up to eir in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Nothing wrong with signing up to Eir for FTTH, I used to work in their support back towards the start of the FTTC rollout and that was a nightmare! I would never sign up for anything with them that still relies on copper phone lines, but with FTTH there is a lot less that can go wrong.

I have been with Eir FTTH since the start of 2020 and have had no issues with it at all, getting constant 900 down and 100 up.

I would say that OP is just on the wrong port in the exchange which is why support are seeing the correct profile being applied, but the speeds aren't reflecting.

So letting them log a fault will get an engineer out to check the line and ports in the exchange.

Thanks Allen, that's interesting alright so hopefully it'll get sorted. Unfortunately the fault came back as cleared so I'm hoping now pushing it further will get it sorted

Connection is rock solid otherwise so I do feel a bit like a spoiled child :P

I lost patience with Eir. They stated that the 500/50 speeds I was getting were normal for 1000/100 package. I had a support agent tell me it was my network card causing the limitation of 500. I immediately cancelled within my 14 day cooling off and got signed up with another provider today. I'm getting 900/100 now.

Beware of Eir and be aware of what you're getting with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement