Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No money for promotions in civil service?

Options
  • 10-04-2024 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi. I am a civil servant for past 20 years and in February made the internal EO panel of my department. However, I have since learned they haven't started the panel as there is allegedly no money.

No promotion vacancies of any grade have been filled within the past 6 months and I was informed all vacancies are now been reviewed by management board. Also a number of current competitions have been withdrawn only yesterday which I have never seen happen before.

Im just wondering if this is across other departments or just one department. Has anyone moved on promotion within the past 2 weeks and if so when did you sign a contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

We've had people promoted and new joiners in my department all the first quarter and I know someone who got their promotional assignment this week. If there is a freeze it isn't across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Certainly no such freeze.

I'd question whether that's the reason tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mr lebowski

We had a few new starters at different grades over the last few weeks. Not promotions but came in off external panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaymouse

We have a couple of internal competitions, with a fair few promotions.

We have difficulty in filling positions, with people leaving on mobility and retirements, and the slowness of the recruitment process, we will be way under budget for salaries this year

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Plenty recently promoted in my Dept including myself and pay was upgraded right away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭clones1980

Thank you everyone. Must be just my department

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Staffing budgets in some depts are meant to be very very tight and I have heard some definite stories about how tight things actually are so the OP might not be too far off the mark. I’ve heard that the budgets in different Depts are under different levels of pressure so not all Depts will be experiencing pressures.

However, there has to be at least one person promoted off your panel. A panel cannot be put into place unless there are vacancies to be filled. By running a competition, your Dept have created an expectation that there will be at least one promotion so there has to be at least one.

NNo one has been placed yet which works in my favour as it says the panel lasts for 2 years from the first appointment. My fear is if they do take one off the panel then place an embargo the 2 year could run out.

Also i should point out the competition was first advertised last sept with interviews late january and results 12th February so could be that budget for 2024 was tighter then 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I think we may be in the same Department, and as you say, even the person placed the highest after interviews has not yet been placed. They are flying through the HEO panel though, they are moving onto interviewing a fourth batch so I wouldn't lose hope.

• Advertisement

No our latest round of successful HEO cansidates hasnt started either and we are down an AP who hasnt been replaced although they have put a business case together for that. Its all a bit worrying as this is my 3rd time going for interview and the thoughts of doing it all again is horrendous

Just got call. Our dept have 90 vacancies they gonna fill then an embargo. Not sure if this is just our dept or if it will be country wide

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

Promotions have slowed down, but post covid had an abnormal amount of staff movement

Advertisement