Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling on the Seven Bridge with vertigo.

Options
  • 10-04-2024 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to plan a route from Leitrim to just south of London for a family gathering. The obvious route for me would be Fishguard to Rosslare, across the south of Wales and crossing at either of the seven bridges.

The fly in the ointment is I have developed severe vertigo and am deeply concerned about panicking on the bridge and getting into trouble.

Has anyone got personal experience of driving a camper across either of the seven bridges and dealt with vertigo.

Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Is there a particular reason you are not looking at the Holyhead route? The plus side is you could get in some nice scenery taking the A5 through Snowdonia and no Severn bridge.

Edit: Coming from the west of Ireland, I only ever take the south Wales route when going to the south west of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Long way round, avoiding the Severn crossings? - A48 Chepstow-Gloucester, then A417/9 from Gloucester to join the M4 at Swindon. At least then you won't spend the journey from Leitrim to the Severn estuary worrying about what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

That definitely one alternative I have been considering. A5 to Leicester and then down the Fosse Way to Bath. Would be a lot slower though and that's why motoring all the way to the seven at a quick lick and the by roads for the last section around London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You wont even notice there is a drop beneath you when on that bridge.

To be honest I am not looking forward to it in any way, living out west with all the nearly empty roads means I am not really confident on the busy fast big roads in the UK anymore.

I've said I will do it but it fills me with a bit of dread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

If you are already worried about it, then don't do it. You could be a danger to yourself, as well as other people using the bridge.

Get someone else to drive over the bridge for you, or take a different route.

That's what I really want to know, if I can't see it I think I will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭yagan

I've no advice on the Severn bridge, but going via Holyhead and down the M6 would be an option.

The angle is so shallow you'll be lucky if you can even see the horizon, never mind down.

Have a look here. And remember the google cameras are 3 meters up from the road. Your driving position will be only 2m high at most.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.5750252,-2.7029633,3a,75y,265.4h,76.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shpXhlnJ6CyTWeq3mGkQWeQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

My typical journey used to be A55 North Wales, M56, M6, (have meltdown around Birmingham), and M1 to London. If you are heading southwest of London then west of Birmingham on M5 and M40 to M25 around London is an option (and you still get to have a meltdown around Birmingham 😛). If you are not pushed for time then A5 all the way to Shrewsbury, M54 and then M5 or M6 .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've driven them a few times, and unless you look 90 degrees to the left or right you really won't notice where you are…. it looks looks & feels like you are on any normal motorway….

eyes straight ahead, and focus on your driving lane and the vehicles in front of you….

I've driven the Humber bridge a few times as well, and on the Humber, you feel it a lot more..

but if in doubt, just avoid it alltogether.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Holyhead for me every time.
    Holyhead might be 30-60mins longer than Fishguard.
    but you will have nearly 2 hours extra to travel in Ireland if you go rosslare so evens out.

Also have the Little Roodee car park (if you don’t know it) in Chester for the way back. £1.50 If I remember if you arrive in evening after 6 and are gone by 7am , camper friendly and safe, usually a few campers in there.
    little spin then to ferry the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are you doing your maths right?

You do realise that going from Rosslare doubles the journey time in Ireland, and is a longer ferry journey, so negates the shorter driving time in GB.

According to google its 2 hours longer to go from Leitrim to a randomly chosen place to the south of London via rosslare than via Holyhead

I am sorting of edging towards the A5 Shrewsbury option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

By "vertigo" do you mean a fear of heights?

A common mistake. Im assuming they mean acrophobia. If they have vertigo they wouldnt be driving at all and just worried suddenly when they get to the bridge :)

Advertisement