Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT ISSUES

Options
  • 10-04-2024 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Good morning
    Just brought a 2013 Prius for its NCT. Never had any issues with the car. The car passed it test with no issues. So I’ve stared to car and I’m about to leave, but I notice I’ve now got an Engine Malfunction Light on. Also slip indicator light and and brake system light. There’s also a master warning light on. ( the fob needs a new battery). I noticed on the NCT report that there is a pass advisory. OBD - connection failure with electronic interface. I asked a supervisor for an explanation. He said the car passed the test when it finished its exam. The lights must have come on after the test!! So he reckons the lights came on when the car left the bay and drove 20 yards to the car park!! He gave me a complaint form to fill in. I asked could he retest it and see if the dash would clear. He said the car would now fail an NCT test! This car has never given me any trouble whatsoever.
    Anyway, we had a few harsh words.
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Not going to help you directly but my car bumper was damaged by the nct tester.He admitted to it and gave me a complaints form.I filled it out and e-mailed it off to them.NCT HQ fought me tooth and nail not to pay out even though their tested admitted fault.Be prepared for a long fight to get any satisfaction from NCT management.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Tantalum73

I have seen this happen from time to time and it can be simply down to the ABS system getting confused while the car is on the lift . Some trouble codes can require multiple trip detection or ignition cycles to happen for them to appear , hence why the car can drive out with no warning lights on the dash and then as the customer sits in warning lights appear .

Drive the vehicle as normal for 2 or more trips , the warning lights may go away if its down to the ABS wheel speed logic causing the issue .

The supervisor is correct , if esc warning light is on , it is a fail for the test so must not have been on at end of the test.

Also during the test , the is very little a tester can do to directly cause these warning lights to come on

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

When various random warning lights start showing on Toyota hybrids, it's usually a sign that the 12v battery is either low on charge, or failing.

As far as I can gather, during the NCT, the ignition is switched on and left on while some tests are done (the car is not put fully into READY mode), and this can impact on the small 12v battery.

Have that checked out first, before fearing the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

its the same on any hybrid or Ev, check the 12v first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toolio

Thanks for the replies. I’ve reset the dash. And I’ll check the 12v battery over the next day or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Tantalum73

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toolio

All good. Car is driving well. I know one of the last things they check during the test is the wheels and brakes. So hopefully it was just a bit of brain fog on behalf of the car!!
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated👍

Advertisement