Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Qualifying 2024

Options
  • 08-04-2024 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭

Fergal starts his final event Tuesday morning 10am. Against an Egyptian ranked 123. On the face of it a winnable match, you'd like to see him get a bit of a run going over the next week or so in Sheffield.

Jimmy has a walk over Round One against Martin Gould, who is now dropping off the tour. Martin was competative at the Crucible recently enough, he was top 16 in 2017/2018, but has admitted he suffered from a bit of depression in recent years. Hope the chap is alright, and gets sorted.

And Hendry could'ne make it there, after working for ITV all week. No idea why he came back.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fergal mustafa chance :)

However small the chance, I would love him to make it to the Crucible one last time, it would make a more fitting venue for a career final match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Fergal 8-7 down here now.

Don't want to be knocking the female players, but their results here in the first round are not impressive to say the least. Reanne Evans was beaten 10-0 today, Baipat beaten 10-1 by Marco Fu.

And the curtain comes down on Fergal's pro career. 10-8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Pity about Fergal. He was 3-0 up early on.

I admired Martin Gould when I heard he took a year off to care for his mother as she died. Decent man. Really sorry to hear he experienced mental ill health. Its a real bastard.

Ken and Aaron Hill both play at 10 on Friday.

Following the matches here:

https://www.wst.tv/matches/

Edit. The link looks weird but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The guy that beat Fergal was 4/1 to win, was tempted but ultimately didn't pull the trigger on what looked like a 50/50 match to me

• Advertisement

Ken Doherty and Aaron Hill starting matches this morning. Ken has Marco Fu, probably a tough old battle there

I'm just following on the website. Are the matches live on tv anywhere?

Eurosport, Discovery plus will have some, Ken v Marco is on anyway

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ken 5-4 up, winner plays Hoss Vaf.

Aaron 6-3 up, winner play Matt Selt.

• Advertisement

If Fergal had beaten Mostafa Dorgham in Rd1, we would have had three ROI players in the session this morning and evening.

The 10 grand Aaron Hill is guaranteed now is handy, with a chance to get to judgement day if he beats Selt

I must have been wrong when I thought Discovery+ were showing all qualifying matches.

Went on yesterday evening to see if I could find any part of the Aaron Hill match from the afternoon, nothing. On there now to see if I can catch any live and its not there. They seem to be showing three of the seven matches currently in play.

Anyway, I have this tab open in work and its keeping me up to date. Hill seemed to be holding his own earlier in the session but 5-4 to Selt seemed quickly become 7-4.

https://www.wst.tv/match-centre/25bceaaa-e91c-4cf2-b291-5dc8f5e0d7b7

8-4 now. Could have been a slightly easier draw than Selt at this stage, but there you are

Yep. And Joe O'Connor after Selt. Then again to claim your spot in a tournament of the top 32 you have to be able to beat players like Selt and O'Connor who border the top 32.

Even if he goes out now I think he will be happy to have secured his card, made halfway decent earnings and build from there next season.

9-4 now. Selt on a run to the line, unfortunately.

Yeah Selt isn't a joke but it's not a really unlucky draw either. Beating the likes of Selt is what's necessary to earn a place in the finals. No shade, Hill has done well. I'm sure he'll be disappointed.

Hill is 62 in the world rankings so he's just about safe.

Tense stuff on Judgement Day.

8 games have completed their first session.

7 have a score of 5-4 and the other one is 6-3.

Scores at this moment.

https://www.flashscore.com/snooker/

Should make a good nights viewing alright.

Caught a bit on Discovery+ app at lunch time, the 'Election Count' style coverage is great, the commentators are a bit more informal, lots of audience messages, etc and always something happening across the tables.

Would love if Dominic Dale made it back to the Crucible, would be some story after 10 years away. Equally I caught a bit of Jenson Kendrick (rank outsider, 104) from early round 1, looked fairly rocky vs. Bai, it seems he has done very well since. Both 5-4 up at interval.

Mark Davis would be a real story if he gets through. He was pretty much done and dusted with snooker a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Spiderpig92

It'd be a great story if Kendrick made it, hasn't shown much form in his two years on tour and needs to Qualify for the Crucible to keep his tour card having started out at Round 1

• Advertisement

Does qualifying for the world championship get you a tour card or would the money for qualifying push him into the top 64?

Aaron Hill is 62 so he can't have players overtake him or he's in trouble, I think. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mrunsure

Yes, qualifying for the Crucible gives you a 2 year tour card if you don't qualify off the rankings. Aaron Hill is now safe for one more year at number 60. There is only one player outside the top 64 left in the qualifying.

Enjoying the Eurosport coverage of Judgement day again.

Robertson has a tight battle at 8-8

Dave Gilbert just qualified again, and Si Jihui and Hossein Vafaei both made it through easily enough. Apart from the top 3/4 players quite a few of the top 16 could lose first round, due to the strength in depth of these players coming out of the qualifiers. More than one or two names to avoid in the draw tomorrow morning.

And good for Dominic Dale last night making it back to the Crucible at 52

Robertson gone, 10-9 Jamie Jones.

A good day for the Welsh

If Day gets through, which seems likely, I think it's 6 Welsh brethren at the Crucible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Robbie FFS. Career in freefall

Top Talf.

Luca Brecel v David Gilbert. Robert Milkins v Pang Junxu

Ali Carter v Stephen Maguire. Shaun Murphy v Lyu Haotian.

Mark Selby v Joe O'Connor. Kyren Wilson v Dominic Dale.

John Higgins v Jamie Jones. Mark Allen v Robbie Williams.

Bottom Half.

Judd Trump v Hossein Vafaei. Tom Ford v Ricky Walden.

Zhang Anda v Jak Jones. Mark Williams v Si Jiahui.

Ding Junhui v Jack Lisowski. Gary Wilson v Stuart Bingham.

Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day. Ronnie O'Sullivan v Jackson Page.

Standouts to me are Trump v Hoss, Williams v Si and Ding v JackL.

Interestingly the stronger qualifiers all went into the bottom half, which already looked to have the stronger seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what odds on Brecel out in the first round? No Crucible Curse required the way he's been playing this season.

Yeah he's not focused on playing at the moment. Strikes me as a man who won't have his money for long. He probably needs to run out of money to focus on playing and winning money again.

Might be a harsh analysis but that's a bit like Ronnie in the past.

@ArmaniJeanss Judd v Hossein is a class match. No foreplay there. Very low average shot time. Someone with ADHD might find it too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Played well in Saudi tbf and made the final in Shanghai - don't think it has been as bad a season as what is being made out. If he gets past Gilbert he is good odds on making the QF and with the momentum built up from the first two rounds you wouldn't know what could happen. Joe Johnson in 1987 springs to mind…

Advertisement