Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Higher Purchase Query

Options
  • 08-04-2024 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Good evening.

Currently I have a vehicle under Hire Purchase.

I've only had it 1.5 years, but, got it with very high mileage. Theere is nearly 300,000km up on the clock.

Recently, I took it for an NCT and it failed outright! They said the vehicle should not be on the road,plus it needs a new gear box.

I asked the Hire Purchase Company would they fix the problems and get it road worthy and they said,

"As per the terms and conditions of the hire purchase agreement, specifically clause 2.d, it is the customer's responsibility to maintain the roadworthiness of the car.

For more information, please refer to your hire purchase contract, or you can reach us by calling our customer care number."

So...are they right? Have I not got a leg to stand on and just keep paying monthly for a heap of rubbish as well as having to pay out to fix the vehicle??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

👍

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭User1998

Is this a joke? Why on earth would a finance company be paying for your basic maintenance on a car with over 300,000km? Take it up with the dealer you bought it from or bring it to a mechanic to fix your NCT faults.

I’d also love to see your NCT fail sheet to see what you failed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’m guessing you got less than a 2 year warranty with the car? If that’s the case, you’re out of luck. You’ll need to get the repairs done at your own expense, and you’re still responsible for the HP agreement too.

Did you get a quote yet on the fail items? It may not be as bad as you think. Was it failed Dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Water2626262

If you have paid more than 50% of the payments you can hand it back to them with no consequences to your credit rating etc. You wont owe them anything.

Edit - if it’s broken you will owe them the cost of repair too so looks like that won’t work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot expect the Hire Purchase company to fix the car. It's the same as expecting a bank who gave you a mortgage, to repair your house if the roof fell in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

You gotta love people who see the word 'hire' and ignore every single other word on the contract…. :'D

Advertisement