Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Insulation and BER assessment

Options
  • 07-04-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I internally insulated my house. It was DIY so i have zero certificatesto prove this. I don't have invoices for the insulation- about all I'd have are payments to the hardware shop over a couple of years. I seriously doubt if they'd have a record of all the deliveries of insulation to give me.

Obviously the insulation is covered over, but it'd be relatively easy to see there's insulation on the walls by pulling out a couple of sockets. No way of showing how thick it is, although in theory i could take up window sills which would be a pain.

My priority was, and still is, having a comfortable house at an affordable cost. But it'd be nice for the BER rating to reflect reality rather than just the paper trail, just in case we actually sell up at some point.

Is there any way to have this work at least partly recognised in a BER assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Picaresque

I had a BER assessment a couple of months ago after getting a seai grant.
    The inspector did not look for any documentation about the insulation but I am sure he could recognize the brand and also the thickness just by looking at it. He also told me the first 40mm makes the difference.
    For the attic, I had some old stickers from the original package displayed in the attic.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Try to remove a socket box off each external wall. One per wall

Once the assessor can measure and photograph the thickness they can include it in the assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

We took photos and will get the hardware to make up an invoice, but the main requirement is that he/she cannot assume a thickness and if they cannot directly measure they will default to the minimum building code insulation levels at time of first build.

The report is logged on the SEAI database for future reference by any buyer so it becomes a legal document.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SeanieRetrofitter

How do you mean directly measure? As in they need to see the thickness of the insulation, or can they measure from (say) inside of window to inside of insulation and confirm it's 100mm that way?

Not essential to get the credit for work actually done on the ber, but it would be nice.

• Advertisement

They actually need to see the depth of the insulation, a window reveal is not definitive proof. Our BER assessor said photos with a tape measure were necessary, and receipts would confirm this.

If you can use the socket with access back to the wall that would do it.

So if i lifted a couple of window boards that should do it? They'd be able to see the full thickness that way, and it'd be easy enough to measure and confirm the rest of the walls were in line.

It seems a way to go.

Its always a good idea to get in touch with the assessor and ask their advice about a possible strategy. They need something evidencary as it form part of their report to the SEAI and could get audited.

It seems a pain in the hole, but probably the best available option. I have photos of the reno but nothing with a measuring tape. Coulda woulda shoulda….

Fair enough that they can't just take your word for it. And good suggestion on getting in touch with the assessor on what they'd need.

Advertisement