Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is revolut transfer, Adverts.ie offer screenshot, Adverts.ie chat enough for a "proof of purchase"?

Options
  • 07-04-2024 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I bought a new phone from a shop on Adverts.

Paid via revolut.

I asked for a shop receipt in case I need to use the warranty, but he said you don't need a receipt for a warranty.

Samsung says I do need a receipt. The shop owner is saying I don't. Basically, it looks like I'm not getting a receipt.

So, I do have the original offer I made, which they accepted. I have our chat transcript. I have the revolut transfer (to somebody's name, not a business name) and I have some back on forth on Whatsapp with the official shop phone number from the ad.

It is an actual physical shop on Google maps and it's all over google. Solo company check website etc.

So, do my bits and pieces above count as "proof of purchase" under EU law?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: Moved to Consumer issues, it's probably better suited to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

you can use a statement as proof of purchase, not sure how that holds up with Samsung, since it wasn’t them you bought the phone off, it would be enough for proof of purchase against the shop.

Sure you have a warranty with Samsung but you also have the sales of goods act against the shop.
    Your first port of call for any issues with the phone would be with the shop and not Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd make the assumption it's a grey import if the shop selling it is not giving you a store receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are no legal "minimum conditions" to a manufacturer's guarantee. The manufacturer is only bound by the T&Cs that they set. If they say you need a receipt, you need a receipt. They don't have to accept anything else.

However, that doesn't mean you have no protections. Assuming that the seller is a business (as opposed to a private sale), you are covered by the standard consumer laws. However, this contract exists between you and the retailer. Samsung have absolutely no involvement. If something goes wrong with the phone, the retailer has obligations to address it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭scrotist

How many years of a shop warranty do I have by law? 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Up to 6 years for manufacturing faults. You may need to enforce this via the courts.

We have strong consumer protections but very poor methods of enforcing them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Samsung cashback is usually from a registered trader like Vodafone Three Currys Harvey Norman the self trader sole trader shops are resellers not retailers they themselves will offer their own warranty but they are not necessarily a recognised store by phone manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

What adverts shop was this please. Please link it.

Advertisement