Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusla - false accusations

Options
  • 06-04-2024 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello, any experience anybody with repeated false accusations? Last year my ex falsely accused me of neglect and physical abuse (our son was 4 years old then). Both Tusla and the Guards evaluated the accusations as false. Now, after a year, the same has been reported. Last year it happened after a court hearing when access was granted after months of being withheld completely. Now it happened during mediation (before an upcoming court hearing).

I wonder, how do Tusla or the courts handle such cases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭csirl

In my locality a staff member in local school had a file sent to DPP for making false reports to Tusla - which is a criminal offence. Reported parents who complained about her.

First you need to get the evidence that a false report was made - put in a GDPR request to Tusla. Tusla themselves arent good at making the running in this sort of thing. Best way to get it dealt with is bring the Tusla paperwork to your local Garda station and make a statement.

Some tips - pre-prepare the text of the statement. You need to be clear on what is false and what supporting evidence shows its false e.g. if you were somewhere else at a time its alleged you did something.

Gardai arent familiar with the law - dont get many cases, so you need to tell them what the offence is which is:

False reporting contrary to Section 5 of the protection for persons reporting child abuse Act 1998.

If also made to gardai, then perverting the course of justice may also apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thamus doku

a good solicitor is what you need, someone with experience in this matter. Don’t even try and handle this yourself. If you live around Tipperary or surroundings area, pm me and I can give you a name of a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Very difficult to stop someone making false accusations to TUSLA or the Gardai. Unfortunately it seems to be part of separation/divorce proceedings.

csirl has given you good advice. Go and speak to a Garda in your local station. You will have to sit and make a statement, which can take hours/days, so be prepared for that. Have your paperwork and evidence to hand, don't worry if you forget something, you add to statement later, and add evidence also.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Do not talk to the Gardai without a solicitor. See Reid technique. As soon as you start talking, you are putting yourself in danger. Tusla are also known to colude with gardai to get the desired effect. See Garda Maurice McCabe.

Get a good solicitor who has a history of dealing with Tusla. I wouldnt trust a state agency that cannot account for almost 400 kids last year. Your partner is very foolish for getting Tusla involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Solicitor then garda

Gardai are not there for friendly chats , they're in the business of securing prosecutions

The fact that she made false accusations before will go against her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Thankfully there can be consequences for making false allegations to TUSLA or the Gardai (see example below).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41225728.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Atamiri

Those must have been very serious allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

In theory there can be consequences, but it doesn't look like there are in reality:

"Judge Gabbett said that the mother can “mend her hand” and allow access to the girl with her father on a 50/50 basis."

Advertisement