Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it going to become impossible to farm in the West of Ireland as a result of climate change ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

Really? What is the expected timeframe for this "abandonment"😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

It's not just the amount of rainfall in the year though, when the rain falls is also important - instead of clearly defined seasons we are getting constant bouts of rain. The rain at present is normal enough for the time of year but land never dried fully last back end plus no good hard frosts over winter ( did we get a week of hard cold this winter). How many days or weeks good hay weather are we getting in summer now? The quote lies, damned lies and statistics comes to mind ( most figures can be presented to show what you want if you're determined enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its happening now and has been described by others in this thread.

Go away with that rubbish. Living in the west here... Land for sale making 10-13k per acre around here. Any bit locally has been bought by farmers to farm. Rented land making from 100 to 250 a acre here. Mountain been reclaimed to green land. The complete opposite of what your describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That would be the green wet dream alright. Turn the West into a wilderness populated by nothing ther than wolves, lynx etc. And what exactly are they planing on doing with all these trees. Burn them to generate electricity where their moisture content is so high that to lower that content would result in so much energy being used to do so the energy they provide would be minimal.

We are already burning wood in a former turf burning power plant in Offaly that is shipped from Brazil. A country that is cutting down its rain forest to provide this wood and then using the land cleared to increase its cattle numbers by 24 million to meet the growing demand for meat. Projected to increase by 14% this decade, (OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2021 - 2030), while our green lunatics were jumping up and down threatening to walk out of government if they did not get their way on culling cattle numbers here. But we are not happy with just the Offaly plant. Now we are going to import 200,000 tons of wood annually, landed in Killybegs and then shipped by road to Killala in Mayo pretending everything about it is carbon neutral while research by even green advocacy groups show burning wood emits more CO2 than coal.

Greens do not have the first clue about agriculture, food security or the global food chain. Nor do they wish to know. Their whole ideology is based on a fantasy of organic food production, that if followed would starve millions to death long before climate change. We have only to look at Sri Lanka to see how that fantasy worked when put into practice.

• Advertisement

You can run and hide behind the sofa all you want. It doesn`t change the facts.

Greens are clueless when it comes to agriculture, and their ideas on energy are based on dodgy bookkeeping and an inability to cost their proposals when challenged to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

And probably a right to roam fecker as well. They would be very happy if the West was half abandoned and dictate how people live their lives and farm - feckers.

Not at all.

Just stating the facts which you have chosen to run away from while attempting back seat moderating.

• Advertisement

Did you see the sheep games latest video. It was partly about his second dog attack and lambing just started. I hope to god right to roam never comes in here. It's some joke.

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the arse. But you are badgering now and you will get reported if you keep it up. I told you I wasn't interest in engaging with you please respect that.

I did see it and it's a feckin joke but that's what the British Empire did to the Scots. If I was him I'd have a rifle licence (a simple .22LR would suffice) which considering his background wouldn't be hard to get. Right to roam will never be in Ireland due to our history/property rights and they ain't going to overturned.

If my facts are incorrect then I`m mystified as to why rather than point out where they are incorrect, you resort to attempts at back seat moderating and issuing threats. For someone who does not wish to engage due to having no answers your posts to me come across as nothing much more than baiting attempts

I have always been under the impression that this is a discussion forum rather than a propoganda forum where any contradictory posts are met with nothing other than attempts at shooting the messenger rather addressing the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭green daries

Bye bye yourself you've enough rubbish spouted now bye bye back to the green thread

Not on here my dear we've a dim view of your kind around here

Owners of

Go away leave our forum we've no interest in interaction with you 😒

The owners of dogs who attack sheep should get jail time andhave to pay the cost replacement for the farmers of

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

I'd have like to have seen these facts that the west is getting wetter and the east is getting dryer. It seems odd that that could possibly be the case. We know the east is dryer but I always thought that it got a proportion of what the west gets.

It goes back to what I said originally, it's these climate change policies, Carbon Taxes and fuel hikes that have made farming in the west nothing more than a part time activity for everyone. That was ok as you could turn a few bob out of the farm for the work but the thing has gone so twisted now that if you didn't farm and just collect the payments you are better off. How can that be right?

• Advertisement

I performed my own statistical analysis of the weather station data going back 100years, so on this part you are going either believe me or not it's up to you. If I can find any study that confirms my own personal analysis I will share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

What was the exact methodolgy of your statistical analysis out of mild interest?

It was a student statistical analysis looking at trends across all station datasets. I cannot remember the actual statistical test applied but a simple regression to establish trends would have been the foundation for the piece. It was over a decade ago now. The analysis is not complex but you need a good stats package to extract and analyse the data which was the point of the exercise.

The trend since then has been towards wetter conditions across Ireland.

Soo it wasn't your own analysis? I presume if it was then you would remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well they said it was their own, I would take from their next post that it was done as a 3rd level student.

There's almost a level of hostility here, even echo's of "run 'em out of town", that doesn't reflect well on this forum and farming in general. I thought there was a reasonable discussion going on in the first two pages of the thread but it's going to pot now.

It was my own analysis from the raw data to my own design, but as I said 10 years is a long time to remember the exact method.

Do you remember the specifics of an individual job from a decade ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sri Lanka is a poor example as they had to bring in organics literally overnight when they ran out of foreign exchange for Chem Fert during a financial crisis. Without training and information farmers were left high and dry. Funnily enough one of the best performing agri sectors there atm is organic Coconut and Cinnamon production

Post edited by Birdnuts on

Was it ever peer reviewed?

I remember the specifics of my full time (non agricultural) job which was thirty years ago.

Sri Lanka is an example of what would happen if the organic global wet dream of greens was followed on fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. Mass starvation.

The E.U. exports around 33 million tons of wheat alone annually. The majority to so called developing countries. The greens have been leading a charge in the E.U. to ban herbicides and pesticides with no alternatives being identified. One of those herbicides is glyphosate which they have been attempting to ban based on 2015 WHO research that it was "probably carcinogenic to humans". The E.U.s own European Food Safety Authority and the European Chemical Agency after carrying out their own research told them it simply was not true, yet they were attempting to plough on and pass legislation to ban. Even Environmental Science Europe on foot of their research told them doing so would reduce E.U. wheat yield by 24 million tons annually.

We have been told by the E.U. the U.N. et al. that due to Putin`s war, if the Ukraine could not export 12 million tons of wheat people in the developing world would starve, yet we would have the E.U. not exporting double that tonnage based on a "probably" that their own experts were telling them was a nonsense.

That is just one example of the idiocy of a green ideology from people who have either no clue on food security and global food demand, or they really do not care because it doesn`t suit their narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; thread closed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement