Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you enjoy college /3rd level Education Life?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I went to AIT and DIT, AIT was far better, most students moved to Athlone for college whereas in DIT most still lived with their parents in Dublin 🥱 rag week in DIT was non existent and the students in Dublin were mostly dry $hites who would just about go for a couple of drinks after the last exam. AIT was like 4 years in Ibiza.

what age were you second time in college? did you party much the second time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I had some wild nights visiting my friends in AIT. Was the niteclub called Blinkers?

Blinkers was before my time there, when I was there the nightclubs were Q, Karma and another small one beside the college that I can never remember what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I must be a dry sh*te then, 4 years in ibiza sounds like a nightmare. I'd agree though that if many students in DIT were from Dublin and lived at home, that would limit the enjoyment. Also the lack of a DIT campus is/was a disadvantage not sure how it is structured now with TU Dublin, Grangegorman etc.

• Advertisement

Id say its still the same with Dublin colleges, most students being from Dublin and still living with their parents.

There was around 7 thousand students in AIT, student bar, most students lived in the estates and apartments near the college, it was great, my course was handy and it was a great place for social life, the estate right across from the college, you could wander in and out of around 10 houses on a night and there was house parties in them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I only turned 17 during the Leaving Cert exams, then went straight to college, which is crazy in retrospect. These days few would start school at 4, and there is TY (which my oldest child is just finishing, we were a bit dubious about it beforehand but we all agree now it was well worth doing) so many are 19 going to college.

It was a four year degree (five in the end, for me) and I really enjoyed the last couple of years (exam pressure aside, naturally) but the first couple of years were pretty much a write-off, socially.

Was a great relief though to realise I'd never have to feel that late Spring exam anxiety any more, I'd grown to hate that time of year after having it for 7 out of the previous 8 years, if you include school. I love this time of year now 😊 So I'd had enough of exams and academia at that point, no postgrads for me.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yes, the bar was called The Tack Room. Typical regional nightclub, damp walls etc. They opened a student bar in 1999 or 2000 and that nightclub more or less was finished.

Advertisement