Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O’Leary for president?

Options
  • 05-04-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

This is something I have thought about for a while, of all the high-profile politically interested people in this country, Michael O’Leary is somebody I am surprised has never considered a presidential run.

I would certainly vote for him over Conor McGregor or Bertie Ahern. He is obviously a very capable and shrewd leader, very charismatic and is high-profile enough to represent our nation. While of course his powers are limited, he is someone I have always thought would win well if he ran for president.

He probably won’t run at the next election, but when he finishes/retires from Ryanair I can easily see him in the Áras.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

stop drinking and go home

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mr j tayto

Just no!! As for the other two names mentioned no X a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Should be moved to After Hours, go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The President of Ireland's main (unofficial) job is to be a warm, welcoming diplomat.

Can you see O'Leary be warm or welcoming or a diplomat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, he can be warm and welcoming, esp on his farm, but diplomatic, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭con747

Another stupid thread from the OP. I am beginning to wonder if it is a certain poster who has their own dedicated thread for nonsense posts or a very close relation.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No way for president. Get him into the dail to tidy up some of the complete financial mismanagement in various government departments i.e the HSE, SP, housing then yes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dublincc2

He’d presumably have to go independent as he hates all the main political parties.

It’d be amazing to have him as a TD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Would it? Business people haven't exactly shown them to be great politicians. He's great in his field but politics, not a chance tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Feets

I think he would be wasted as president. Would love to see him in charge of policy or at government level. But I think he is too rich to really put up with that life

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Eh No Thanks to O mooney sorry I mean O'Leary as President or in Government. Honestly he is basically the male version of Mary Loo.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

An unequivocal No from me. O'Leary has not one trait suited to the presidency. That said, Mary Lou would be my least admired politician. I'm curious though as to how you link them. What have they in common?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭con747

Im sure they will open a thread about it soon enough!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭concerned_tenant

The presidency is a non-controversial, magnolia, ceremonial-type position whose essence is mundanity.

Whilst I personally admire Michael O'Leary's business acumen, it adds no value to suppress this entrepreneurial ability by imprisoning it into the set quiet of the presidency. O'Leary is, after all, an agent of change. The presidency is anything but change. Its purpose is to suppress vim and vigour to the point of non-existence.

For Taoiseach, you might have a point — as it would unleash his zeal to enact systematic and meaningful change. But with the presidency, you have almost no power. It's the most powerless position in the country with a high salary; where you go to look respectable without the need to do anything, if much at all. Áras an Uachtaráin is nothing more than a well-paid retirement home.

Look, it diminishes O'Leary to assume that the presidency is his best position in society.

The president of Ireland is nothing more than an NPC. Michael O'Leary doesn't belong there, nor does anyone else who has something valuable to add to society.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Maybe Taoiseach but not president.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

No thanks.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Governments for the people are not run for profit; business people rarely show the requisite nous to work this into their thinking and often struggle to marry the profit-driven need of private business and the equitable provision of services, regardless of cost, by a government. The end result being worse services once privatisation kicks in.

The waste sucks and clearly there are problems but bringing a private industry solution to a public services problem isn't the answer. I don't know what is but it ain't letting the the CEOs take over.

As for O'Leary for President, no. It's a ceremonial, diplomatic role that would neither challenge O'Leary or give Ireland a good platform to put its best, most idealistic foot forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The president of Ireland is nothing more than an NPC. Michael O'Leary doesn't belong there, nor does anyone else who has something valuable to add to society

What? Mary Robinson had nothing valuable to add to society? Nor Miggledy?

Go away out of that.

Our president is our main ambassador. The person that represents and embodies what this country means to the majority of the population. Thankfully with the election of Miggledy, we have a nation that still respects the importance of the arts, creativity, empathy and compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So you don't think the constitution is fit for purpose and you think Michael O'Leary is it's best guardian…. Michael O'Leary is a business man and business men have a very bad history of putting their own interests before those of their country and it's citizens, on top which you clearly have no understand of the constitution and the role of President.

It's clear you don't understand that you are talking about one of the most sophisticated electorates in Europe, one who understands and values the role of President as does Michael O'Leary. So he is not going ever run and were he do he would loose.

Do us all a favour and save yourself some embarrassment by learning a bit about the administration of Ireland before opening any more nonsense threads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The presidency is a non-controversial, magnolia, ceremonial-type position whose essence is mundanity.

On the contrary it is the most significant role in our democratic system. It's the main defence what we depend on to keep a check on the parliament and government and it's the last stand between us and corruption politicians.

And history has shown this to be the case for example:

• Arm crisis - A group of ministers organising the importation of arms to support the IRA in NI.
    • The thundering disgrace - A government/parliament trying to implement laws that might not have been constitutional.
    • Brian Lenihan Snr's attempt to influence the President on the dissolution of the Dail and his threads to the career of the Army officer who stuck to his oath to up hold the constitution and obey the order's of his commanding officer - the President.
    • And more

The voters rejected the attempt to reduce the minimum age limited for president because they understood the need for that office to be held by someone with political experience and sufficient maturity to act in defence of the constitution if necessary. I never agreed with Michael D's politics but I do believe he has the depth of character to act in defence of our democracy if necessary - like de Velera, Ó Dálaigh and Hillery did in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

He could graze his herd of Angus cattle on the lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Charismatic" haha! Are we talking about the same person?

President is basically cutting ribbons, shaking hands, signing off a few documents, smiling and being nice as pie. Not MOL's thing at all.

Having the private sector run parts of government is a disaster but time and time again I see examples of civil servants who don't comprehend and/or care how things are on the outside. Rather than bringing in "private sector expertese" I would force civil servants to have secondments into the real world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps and the way employment works in the public sector is … ... singular, and doesn't promote much productivity; but then the private sector also arguably needs some perspective in the reverse direction: I've seen it first hand where a tender for government work had the price intentionally inflated by a few thousand - 'cos it was public money and assumption there'll be no horse-trade and a gravy train.

Sometimes the dreaded public waste comes from private greed, it's a tricky and complex problem, but fundamentally we shouldn't ever believe governments can function like businesses cos they possess mutually exclusive priorities - and the leaders therein often don't translate to the other side.

Plus O'Leary as a TD would have zero effect on "waste" as an independent, in fact he may not even have speaking rights IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

And be subjected to several years of publicity photos of him doing that stupid gurning thing that he clearly thinks is hilarious but just makes me want to punch him?

• Advertisement

..just like most other TDs?

Advertisement