Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No longer asked for insurance details when renewing tax online?

Options
  • 05-04-2024 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭

I just renewed my motor tax online and wasn’t asked for the insurance details. Is this new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've always been asked but somebody told me you can fill out a jumble of letters and they pay to attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭GIMP

I renewed my tax recently and i wasn't asked for insurance details either. Transaction was processed and tax disc received no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Gardaí have access to an insurance database, which is updated daily, so they don't need to get the information from motor tax renewals, which was never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

Just did mine tonight, had to add in the insurance details, same as, last month on the other half's car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Maynis

The below message pops up when I open the Motortax website- "When taxing your vehicle online, you will no longer be required to enter your insurance details. The Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland have a new dedicated insurance database, the Irish Motor Insurance Database (IMID), which contains policy holder details and vehicle registration numbers covered by each policy. The data in the IMID is provided by motor insurers, brokers, fleet owners and motor traders. This new insurance database is being used by An Garda Síochána to support enforcement of the legal requirement for motor insurance."

I always just entered 123456789 as the policy number when renewing. Just because it was easier than looking for the actual number - I don't think it was ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I didn’t put details in the other day either, not that I ever put anything genuine in anyway.
    Didn’t cop it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They should have done away with this year's ago. You could just make up an insurance number and still tax the car, I've never once put in my actual insurance details

Advertisement