Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to Australia - Emirates or Qatar airways?

Options
  • 05-04-2024 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

Assuming equal prices, is there a much difference between the two? Do people have a preference? Better service, food, drinks, plane type, seats etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I flew to Cape Town last September on Emirates. I’m typing now from Cape Town ( again ) after flying Qatar. Put it this way, next time I will revert to Emirates, my ass was killing me after flying out here on Qatar - it felt like a long haul flight on a Ryanair seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Singapore airlines is another option, although it will require 2 stops.

If you are going to Perth, you can do it with Qantas who fly direct from Heathrow although at almost 17 hours flight time, it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d fly Etihad or emirates and do it often(only as far as the Middle East ). I avoid Qatar as I’ve only had bad experiences with them

Post edited by ted1 on

I’m just home from flying all night via Doha.

I can only agree with You, Qatar are not a patch on Emirates ( cannot comment on Etihad as they don’t fly to Cape Town). The only thing I can give Qatar credit for is they have a huge choice of films to choose from.

Something I cannot understand is why transitting Doha, you still have to a security scan- though if memory serves me right, it has to be done too in Dubai.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

Emirates all the way for me, the entertainment and service are the best, even their economy A380 seats I found better than Qatar and Etihad. The B777's they use to Dublin, if you can get the rear window seats that go down from 3 to 2 I highly recommend booking. Flew with them a few times between DUB and MEL/AKL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

second that. Emirates have a better IFE and the food and service just generally is better and also found the seats and the general cabin a little less cramped. You will have to go through security in Dubai but it’s super efficient and easy. Just to say Qatar are fine if there was a huge difference in price I’d take them but all things being equal Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've been flying back and forth from Perth for 17 years and Qatar are my go to, never had an issue and they're usually the most reasonably priced.

Having said that, Emirates offered the best deal for a Christmas trip home later this year and they would be the gold standard if money is no object.

I flew Perth to Rome last September and loved the direct Qantas option so that will definitely be a consideration again in the future.

Etihad were good too but ceased operations from Perth in 2018.

I wouldn't even consider a two-stop option, one is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Flying from Dublin I chose Emirates. The food is better than Qatar who have gone downhill since COVID.The entertainment offers are not as good as Qatar.The seats are a little wider than Qatar but but still uncomfortable.Av not used Eithad for years but probably above Qatar.All gulf airlines use the Boeing 777-300 or a variant or Airbus 321 variant - check on flightradar or seatguru.Flights from the UK or European airports will use A350 or A380

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Forget Singapore Airlines tops but 2 flights needed and none from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Has anyone here used China Airlines to travel to /from Australia? Prices are good from Heathrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I did Seoul-Doha-Dublin with Qatar Airlines. I didn't think they were anything to write home about. I did the outbound leg of that trip with Etihad who were better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Planning a jaunt out to the Far East next year with herself and the kids.

I had assumed Qatar Airlines were way ahead of the rest (except for Singapore Airlines).

Have flown Emirates and Malaysian before with no issues.

I'm extremely tall so comfort goes a long way.

No idea who to go with no :)

At least going to the FE, gives You plenty of options. I’m just back from CPT, found out the hard way never to go Qatar again.
    Depending on time of year You are going remember You now have a Chinese Airline flying Dublin-Beijing for €440 return.

Check Qatar airways on Tripadvisor.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I flew to Japan last year with Finnair and had one of the easiest connections I've ever had in Helsinki. Finnair were excellent. They seemed to have a few flights out to the Far East from what I could remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I fly about 15 times a year on each, en route to Australia / Asia.

First class all routes: emirates is better than qatar, but both are great. actually, qatar can be better if you get the q-suite, but that's only sydney.

Business class: emirates from dublin to dubai is not good at all. qatar from dublin to qatar is great. from the middle east to australia both are pretty comparable, qatar probably a bit better.

Economy: emirates generally better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm planning a trip to Melbourne for the end of the year but cannot book until much nearer the time when my son has completed his rural work and knows where and what he'll be doing. I think two stopovers would be the best option as my husband isn't great with long flights and we wouldn't mind long stopovers where we could get some sleep even if it's just allows for one sleep. Any recommendations of route and airlines would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

if you are looking for flights below 7-8 hours each leg then choose Qatar/emirates. Qatar has a stopover over deal where you can book 4 star hotel for €14 per person (google 'discover qatar'). if you are choosing emirates there is a premier inn near to dubai airport (free shuttle available) . we stayed there for 1 night and it cost only €50 per room.

if you can endure one 12.5 hours leg then Singapore airlines is best. they have great deals when book through lufthansa airlines website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks for that, I just need to wait until my son has done his rural work and knows where he'll be before booking.

Advertisement