Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Aerial to Indoor Aerial?

Options
  • 04-04-2024 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

So I've got an Attic Aerial for Saorview which I got installed along with a Sat dish for FreeSat years ago. I'm getting an Attic Conversion done, so I was wondering if there's a way to work out if I need to shift the attic aerial outdoors to the chimney (presuming the aerial is up to outdoors use?) or whether an indoor aerial will do. I'm in Dublin 12, is there an online map to help work out how far I am from the nearest transmitter? Am I best just to buy a good quality indoor aerial & see how I get on? What is the current best indoor aerial available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

An outdoor aerial is always recommended, but you have a good chance of an indoor aerial working in Dublin 12 as the signals from Three Rock and Kippure would be very strong there. But it's never 100%. Avoid "rabbit ears" types as they're designed for VHF and no longer relevant. Amplification is pointless so you don't need it.

Transmitter map is here: https://coverage.2rn.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

Is the aerial working at the moment, if is it there should be no problem after the conversion, if the aerial is placed on the transmitter side of the building, i.e. so that the conversion is not forming an obstruction. What type of aerial is it, is it amplified, then it most likely isn't intended for outside use, maybe post a photo. I am in Bray and in the past I used a simple 15e aerial, from Powercity, inside. It worked OK but there was a big difference in the reception when I moved it outside, I split the signal to 3 tvs, same aerial 10 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The combi box or TV set should have a menu showing the signal readings. Take a note of them, for a Before and After comparison if the aerial is being relocated. The channel numbers for Three Rock are 30 & 33, Kippure 34 & 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Thanks for the replies. So I went ahead & bought a cheap flat indoor aerial, as per photo. Unfortunately, this doesn't give me a good signal (picture freezes- No TV signal). I've attached a photo of my current loft aerial, which in fairness does give a good signal- it's just too big (c.1m long) to keep in the attic once it's converted. Even if this was suitable to be mounted outside, I don't think I want this on my chimney. Would anyone know if the Revez aerial below is any good? This would be an elegant solution as I could mount it on my existing satellite dish & the existing aerial cable is already routed past there anyhow. The Sat dish does seem to be pointing roughly the same direction as the aerial (Astra 2/Three Rock).

Also, I presume I don't need that Ankaro STC-4 combiner anymore or is it amplifying the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

This is the one I use, it's mounted in the attic but can be placed outdoors also. Very compact.

I've line of sight to Three Rock so signal is already quite strong, but this gives me more better signal than any other indoor aerial I've tried.

https://amzn.eu/d/fMIoL5u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭POBox19

Looks like your existing aerial is outdoor quality. All you need do is mount it on a wall pointed towards Kippure or Three Rock and you'll be sorted. I have a similar one in the attic and it's pointing somewhere vaguely south, the picture is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Your aerial looks like a cheap and cheerful Group W outdoor contract aerial, (black plastic bung at the tip of the aerial?)

These wideband aerials were phased out when digital terrestrial broadcasting changed over from analogue broadcasting, because their upper reception range overlapped the 800 MHz band which had been reallocated to 4G mobile. They can be susceptible to inward interference from nearby mobile base stations.

Group K, grey tip, is now recommended for TV reception.

It can be mounted on an external wall facing in the general direction of the transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭decor58

This is the aerial I use, more compact than the one you currently have and in experience works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

If you can afford an attic conversion the additional cost of a new outdoor aerial is insignificant. You have already wasted money on a bit of plastic. You know what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Thanks for all the input guys. The issue for me in just simply mounting the aerial outside is it's just not going to fly with missus! It was a hurdle getting over the Satellite dish on the rear wall, an aerial on the rear wall as well or even on the chimney would be insurmountable! Especially as the reponse is- "ah sure we can just watch it on RTE/TG4 player". I've bought the Revez T80 & will give that a go as it's a discreet & elegant solution, I can install myself & the cabling is there already. I'm told in Dublin 12 this should work well as not too far from Three Rock. Will be installing this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Try and build one of these. It will work near the TV if the signal is strong.

It may sound daft, but it works very well, and is not fussy. It could be used in the attic as well.

Try it. I have built many of them - all very successful.

It is a case of - 'It works in practice but does it work in theory?'

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Belta_TVwiz

Hey there, beratna! Sounds like you're in a pickle with that attic conversion comin up. No worries, though, we'll get ya sorted.

First off, check if your attic aerial is built for outdoor use. If it can handle the elements, movin it to the chimney might give ya better reception. But if it's not up to snuff, consider snaggin a good indoor aerial.

As for findin out how far ya are from the nearest transmitter, sure thing! You can check out the Saorview coverage map online. That should give ya a good idea of what ya dealin with.

Now, bout them homemade coat hanger aerials... Ay, they might sound like a wild idea, but some beltalowda swear by em! Sam's design looks like it's been through the void and back, but hey, if it works, it works.

Give it a whirl if ya feelin adventurous, but remember, results may vary dependin on your location and signal strength.

Stay strong out there in Dublin 12, beratna! The scap can be a tricky beast, but with a bit of savvy, you'll be cruisin through them channels like a pro. Oye, beltalowda always find a way!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Belta_TVwiz, you were warned before about talking in pirate, so you can have a 48 hour ban now, and I hope any further posts will be in English.

Advertisement